PDA

View Full Version : Digital Tigers Elite GX3

Trader
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Hello all,

I am new here. I have been planning a puchase of a Ditital Tigers GX3 for
some time now and then ran accross this website yesterday. Now I cannot get the thought of building one out of my head.

Can someone help me with a few questions? My computer will be for equities
trading and business in general with 3 -5 monitors.

description of GX3:
Silverstone TJO7 aluminum case
Dual Int Xeon e5405 2.0 Ghz
3 x DVI-I (all dual link)
nvidia geforce 8600 gts
Graphic mem band width- 32GB/sec
Graphic hardware ecceleration - Direct x10 / OpenGL 2
Graphics featurs - Silent cooling / HDCP ready
Chip Set/ FSB - Intel 5400 / 1333Mhz
Memory - 2GB
Hard Drive - 500/500 Samsung dual drives
iMON fron bay media center
Power supply - 650 watt

I see no one using the Intel 5400 chipset on this site. Is it costly, no good
unpracticle?

So does it look like I can build this machine?? any input would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Trader

bean
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
That is a wheel barrow full of bucks for that system. Unless you are doing formula crunching to the extreme, 2 Xeon quads are a bit much. And, they are 2.0ghz.

You say you are using 2 gb ram so you are going with a 32bit OS or not using the potential of a 64. The more monitors you use the more ram you will need.

Most trading platforms, like Trade Station, don't currently support Vista so you will be needing XP pro if you intend to go that route. They will need to get it together soon because support for XP ends next year.

I have started on a 2 build plan for trading. My first is an X48 Mobo, Wolfdale E3110, 4gb ram, EVGA 8800 GTs (supports 2 monitors), WD 150 Raptor hard drive, Vista Ultimate 64 bit. and more. I.m using an inexpensive case with upgraded better cooling fans. This build will only be used for the charting. All other computer related stuff like e-mail etc. goes on one of the off the shelf models I have so as not to slow down anything. This build will be my secondary after the next build.

By the time I'm ready for the second build. The 8 core Nehalems should be out. And the new 9800 video cards should drop a few bucks so I can put 2 in for more monitors. (not SLI ) And, I will know better what I need after using this one first.

Hope this helps.

bean
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
looks like they are using this case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112144

rather than the silverstone.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007%2050002031%201054907954%201055007957% 201054808289&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16811163067%2CN82E16811163060

Personally, I don't care for cases with the PSU on the bottom. Just me, I know I hear raves about the Antec 900 (it's a mid tower though) with the PSU on the bottom.

Trader
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Thank you bean!

You can choose your case style open or closed face for the GX3.
The case is more for the looks :cool: and I am not 100% as you need to buy extensions for PSU connectors (big case) I actually wish there were no vents in the top as I like to set things on it.

Coming from knowing only my Dell 4600, this is all quite overwhelming.

I have learned enough though to stop by my local shop and know what parts they recommended wich is a great help.

I have been studying technical analysis for 4 years while waiting for kids to start school and finances. It is good to talk to an actual trader.

May I ask what monitors you use. I was thinking of standard 19"Hp's or I do
like my Dell Ultrasharp strandard 19".

I need 2 8800Gts cards for 3 or 4 monitors?

I am conserned with your comment about XP support dropping. Does that include XP 64 also? Is it silly to spend money on 32 bit technology at this time?.....I certainly can afford to wait if necessary.

Should I consider XP 64 as Tradstation states it will run fine with no real gains in performance? It might be evident from this post I have a whirlwind going on in my head. I appologise:confused:

bean
04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Trader,

I have 2 Samsung 204a 20 inch and 2 old envision 19" lcds. Those envisions set me back a bundle when they came out but are still working great. No complaints on the Samsungs either. I don't want wide angle for charts. What ever you get, make sure it has quick response. 5ms or less.

The 8800GTS has 2 dvi outpits; so, for 4 monitors you'l need 2. Or, there are some cards with 4 DVI outputs. Not sure if I'd go that way. If it dies, you die. If you know what I mean.

I heard that in June 09, or so, it's over for support of XP period. MS will force manufactures to stop suppling XP with computers in the near future. So, it's all Vista from then on.

As for a 32 bit system, you can get Vista in a 32 bit version. It will do ok with 2ghz of ram since it can't use all of it even if you if you put in 4. A 64 bit version will be able to use 4 or what ever the MOBO is designed for. I don't think going over the 4 is worth it, though for me. I have 2-2gb sticks. I think putting in 4 -1s act to slow it down some. Get the lowest latentcy you can. For me, now, with the new processors and North Bridge chips I still went with some fast DDR2 rather than going with DDR3. It is just too expensive and until it becomes mainstream and lower priced, I'll wait. I don't think it is that much more of a benefit for this purpose at this time.

If you are definately going with Trade Station go with the XP Pro. Not Home or Media or whatever. From what I have found is that the 64 bit XP Pro is a server derivative and does not have much MS support. So, either skip TS and go with Vista Ultimate 64; or, go with the XP Pro 32 until TS gets it's act together. That will have to be soon, I expect.

Also, The new 45 Quads are out and slowly getting to shelves. The Q9550 or one of the Xeon 3360 are top of the line. The Xeons, I believe, have a better tolerance for volts when overclocking.

Here is a Q9450. The 2.83 ghz Q9550 cant' be much more in price.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0286543

In a week or so everone will have them.

You mentioned you've been studying for 4 years so I take it you haven't gotten deep into it yet. I think the GX3 maybe way over the top with 2 Xeons. Building one exactly like it will leave you pretty much on your own for troubleshooting, etc. A quad will probably be sufficient for crunching numbers. Other than that, the fastest Wolfdale E8500 should be enough. Even an E8400 is no slouch. And a Xeon X3110 matches it. I like to remember that I will be going head-to-head with others with an off the shelf model crammed with all sorts of resource eating stuff. Keep it fast. Keep it clean. Don't fret the big boys. They are in a league of there own.

Hope this helped.

Trader
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Bean,

Yes you have been a big help....I was getting a little toooo exited.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 32 bit settup but I am certainly going
to research the Vista X64 Ultimate and Buisiness OS's If you think XP is
phasing out....well you know more than I on this subject. I also do not
need TS to start out with. I can check around to see what other platforms
are updated for. This is one research project I'm going to enjoy.

Cheers!