PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading HP Slimline s3200n Desktop

war ensemble
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Hello,

I've been lurking for a while on these boards, and I finally decided to join up on the forums. The information on this board really helps, thank you Rob for creating it all for us.

Anyways, I've had this computer for a little while and would like to upgrade the RAM. Right now there is only 1 GB installed in one of the two slots, I would like to stick another 1GB in the other slot. The computer keeps recommending for me to upgrade the RAM, which I think could be bottlenecking the computer a bit, especially because I'm running Vista. I use this computer mostly for just light web browsing and processing word documents.

I could easily follow the instructions on this site and get the 1GB Crucial memory recommended for my computer from their site. My main concern is this computer has a One-year limited warranty and I was wondering if upgrading the RAM would break the warranty. That might be a stupid question, I am not sure. But if it does void the warranty I will not upgrade the RAM.

Thank you for all the help, guys. I look forward to your responses.

Barrister73
04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not an expert; but going by what other people say, I am shocked that you can even run Vista with just 1GB.

You would have to check with the holder of your warranty to see if it would be voided. My guess is that the specs say something like "Upgradeable to 4GB" with the assumption that you will upgrade it. However, I'm sure that they will say you voided the warranty if you do not upgrade it with the specific RAM that they say is allowable.

Call HP, talk to human, have them tell you what you can do to add more RAM. Write down the employee ID so you can tell them exactly who told you how to upgrade when they try to say you voided warranty.

MRR

RickyTick
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Never had an HP computer, but I can tell you that with Dell, you can upgrade the ram with any compatible branded ram and it will not void the warranty.

Check on the HP forums. I'm sure you'll find a quick answer there.