PDA

View Full Version : First Boot, nothing happens

print2race
03-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Don't think specs are important at this stage so I won't list except to say I spared no expense. Latest, greatest intel mobo, processer, graphics card, etc. This is my first build. When I supply power, lights come on the mobo, but no fans, nothing on monitor, no dvd, nothing. Great forum and website. I did search the forum before asking this but everything I read seemed to get past this stage. Thanks in advance.

Lerxt
03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Not that I profess to be an expert but your specs are somewhat important since some of the users here have probably come across the same problem(s) with your components.

That said, I'm surprised you got lights from your MOBO and now fan activity. I would have said it was your PSU since if power is running then it's fans should be working (and since power is going to the MOBO power must be going through it).

One other question may come up is whether or not your are getting any beeps when you power on - these may help tell you what is wrong.

Barrister73
04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Assumption; when you say supply power and light comes on, you are saying that the LED on the board lights up to say that the board has a bit of power, you press the power switch on the front of the computer and nothing happens.

I know you said that you checked everything, but this seems like you are missing a lot of power. Either weak PSU or cord(s) not hooked up.

Are your fans run directly into your PSU or through the Mobo?

Any beeps, assuming you have a speaker?

Have access to a continuity tester? Might be that the wires from the power switch are connected to the wrong spot, or there is a faulty wire. Maybe even a bad switch.

MRR

shyster
04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
To me this sounds like "I plugged in the power supply and hit the on button in the back." Doing that would supply power to the motherboard based LED, but would not cause anything else on the computer to activate. If that is the case hit the power button on the front of the computer to turn it on.

If you still have nothing after turning the front power button on, then yes like Barrister said you are missing some power connections. And yes specs are important because they tell us what parts you are using, and gives us an idea in which areas to look for problems. For example the P5KC motherboard has problems posting with the new E8400. That would not however necessarily preclude the fans from spinning.

Barrister73
04-06-2008, 06:17 PM
To me this sounds like "I plugged in the power supply and hit the on button in the back." Doing that would supply power to the motherboard based LED, but would not cause anything else on the computer to activate. If that is the case hit the power button on the front of the computer to turn it on.

That was my actual assumption, but then I couldn't have added all the other useful advice in my reply. ;)