PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC for about £400...

ck-jay
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi, I've got a quote from a Dell salesperson for a PC with the below specifications. Is it possible to build a similar/better spec PC in the UK at about a similar price? I've read some of the forum and the only info I could find about a uk build is http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1039.

------------------------------
PC specs:

Dell Vostro 200s Desktop

E4500 Core 2 Duo Processor 2.20GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2MB cache
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz [2x1024MB] Memory
Hard Drive: 320GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm)
16X DVD+/-RW
Display : 19in E198FP UK/Irish Black Value (1280 x 1024) TCO99
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256MB (HH)
Audio: Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability
Speakers: External Zylux Dell A525 Silver/Black spks + Subwoofer
Dell Black 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse
Keyboard: Dell Entry Quietkey USB (QWERTY) Black
IEEE 1394
Genuine Windows XP Pro SP2 including Media
1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day

Total £365.00 (inc VAT and del)
----------------------------------------

I know some of the pros and cons about buying from dell and I would prefer if I could build it (im a first timer so it would be a learning experience about pc building and i know i wouldnt get a "warranty" as such). I don't mind if the build is not a compact/slim form like the PC above (even though it can look nice and has a smaller footprint, upgrading a low profile graphic card in the future might be a bit of a headache).

If its not possible then does anyone know whats the best build i could do for about £400 (and i want xp not vista)?

Thanks for any help in advance.

---------------------
PS Is it possible to build a decent gaming rig for under £600 incl the monitor (or maybe: whats the best you could build for that sort of money). This is just a side thing - my main query is for the above specs/build.

RickyTick
03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Welcome.

First off, the Dell Vostro is designed as a business pc and is definately NOT a gaming pc. Furthermore, the one you listed is the S model (slimline), and would be nearly impossible to upgrade. The Dell XPS line is their gaming pc's, but you could get by with an Inspiron 530 as long as it has a good dedicated video card.

With that said, you'd be much better off building your own pc. You can also do it within your budget. The thread you linked to was a pretty old one. I remember one a little more recent that might be better. I'll check around and see if I can find it.

The two Forum Moderators are in the UK, so they can surely help you with finding the right place to purchase parts there.

ck-jay
03-29-2008, 04:13 PM
thanks for the quick reply ..=-=.......[;

yeah i no vostro is a business pc and not exactly a gaming rig! tbh, my dad asked me to look for a new pc for him so i found a quote in a leaflet and then called them up to haggle it down to the said price (which salesperson reduced to via generous "one-time vouchers" ;) ).

anyhoo, i decided this could be an opp to get my feet wet in pc building, by building a pc instead of buying a pre-assembled one, but i'm only gonna do it for similar/better specs with a similar/cheaper price (abt >=£365) - cos its not my money (i no it sounds selfish and cheap but im a student on a student budget :D )

could any1 price me a parts list?

cheers.

sorry if the post sounds a bit naff - im lets say, a "little inebriated at the time of writing";) happy easter holidays every1!

The Wise Monkey
03-31-2008, 06:00 AM
You will be very hard pushed to build a PC for that price, especially with those specs. Seems like you've got a very good deal there, since it includes a monitor, keyboard etc.