PDA

View Full Version : CPU Fan Emergency Question!!!

FullOfQuestions
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey everybody. I was in the middle of my first ever build (very exciting, I know) last night and I got around to installing the CPU heatsink/fan. Its the Masscool 8WA741 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3127377&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP) and he is a big guy. Has thermal paste already applied. Here's the problem: I set it down with the attaching end up, then while reach for something I accidentally touched the plate with the paste on it with my finger. There is a visible smudge. I'm really worried about what that might do to the heat. Ya know when you touch a halogen bulb the oil from your hands would burn through the glass and destroy it when you turn it on... that kinda thing. Is this going to be a big problem? What should I do here? I can't find answers elsewhere. Thanks for the help everyone

Amosmoses33
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
i wouldnt think it would be a problem, but if you are real worried, you can clean it off with alcohol and reapply thermal paste.

bean
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
If you just made a small "valley" with your finger, smoothing it out with someting like a credit card will most likely be enough to fix it. Otherwise, go to a local store and pick up some arctic silver 5. That's where I got mine. No need to order over internet. I'd call first to check the store to see if they have it. Plenty of posts here on how to apply. Just do a search.

shyster
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I agree with both of you.

Just one thing, if you actually left a fingerprint I would clean the whole thing off first and reapply, but if it was a scratch made by a fingernail, or you hit it with the backend of your finger you might be okay with just smoothing it out.

If you are going to apply new thermal material make sure to clean the old stuff off throughly first. Do not just apply over the old stuff or in the "valley" to fill the void.

FullOfQuestions
03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
God, can't you guys just tell me everything will be just fine and I don't need to spend any more money? :)
Fiiiine I'll get the paste. Thanks for the help!

shyster
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
You can get it for like 10 dollars at most.

And Bean mentioned that if it is small enough you could smooth it over with a credit card and it would probably work just fine.