PDA

View Full Version : Will the P5KC on board sound run this?

MinGraphics
03-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys I'm back! Well Min's mean machine (my Husband name it) is running great, with that said I have a question.
When I ordered my parts the speakers I wanted were not in stock so I waited...now they are not sold at all anymore.
I ordered this one yesterday http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120 and now...after the fact, I was thinking will my on board sound run this or should I get a sound card? As a side note does my system have enough power? Here is my build:

Antec 900
Intel core 2 duo e8400 Wolfdale
Asus P5KC
EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512mb
Corsair 520HX psu
Corsair XMS2 2GB 2x1GB DDR2 RAM
WD 320GB SATA HD
Samsung 226BW 22" widescreen
Vista 32bit home prem

Thanks for your help as always :)

shyster
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I cannot answer your question directly, but in a roundabout way maybe. I gave up on the P5KC after two DOA's and the newegg return policy was about to expire.

If by power you mean wattage, then you should have no problems at all, I do not think running speakers even takes extra wattage, or if it does it should not be much. They should all have their own built in power supply, either something that connects to a socket outlet or uses batteries if they are for remote locations.

Although even though I said that, it seems the control port links directly to your computer and eats some power. Still though I doubt you would have any power issues. If you want to be safe, you could always try calling the support line for logitech and ask them how much power the control port requires.

As for your sound card being able to handle that I do not know. I know that my card, the one built into the Abit IP35 sounds great. However I am only using dual left right speakers and not 5.1 surround. You could also check the P5kc manual, I know that it is pretty well laid out so it should mention the audio capabilities of the onboard sound somewhere in the manual.

Lastly you could just go to your computer and open up the sound system software and see if it seems like it has options to support 5.1.

Sorry I could not answer your question directly but hopefully this will give you some things to think about while waiting for other responses.

Jamie Nixx
03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
They will run fine Min.

MinGraphics
03-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I did not want to disappoint my Granddaughter Saige, I told her I was getting new speakers for our music and her 4 year old eyes got big and all She asked was will they be loud Gram? I trained her well, if you ask her what kind of music She wants She will tell you rock, and it has to be loud.

partyman97_3
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Once again, great job Min, when you get in, you get all in.

MinGraphics
03-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Just an update, system came today and it works great. Have not played it for the Grands yet, but while my Son was on the phone across the house, I was testing it with my two latest downloads 4 Minutes by Madonna & Justin Timberlake and Don't stop the music by Rihanna and his friend asked him if he was in a club :p . I could blow the Grandkids out of the room now! This puppy is sweet!