PDA

View Full Version : Sony combo drive recognised as Optorite

The Hundredth Idiot
03-19-2008, 11:16 AM
FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]I'm puzzled & annoyed by this. My Sony DRU840A is recognised as an Optorite drive. There wasn't any installation software with the drive and I can't seem to figure out how to reconfigure the BIOS. I have a Gigabyte motherboard (GA series - am at work - can get full info at home later)
Can anyone help?

The Wise Monkey
03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Does the drive work?

The Hundredth Idiot
03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
They do play on my pc...as far as I can tell they should play elsewhere although I can't be sure because my PS2 won't recognise them (but that's a whole different problem).

The Hundredth Idiot
03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
does the drive work...Update: yes & no.

I can burn music with it no problem using CDBurnerXP. Can burn from any kind of file (mp3, flac, ogg...) no worries.
But video is just weird. As I metioned I can burn a disc & it's usually OK when I try it out on my computer, but if I try to play it back on my Playstation2 (aka the DVD player) it may start ok, then stutter or just stop or the video will be ok but the audio will drop in & out.
I'm using branded Verbatim discs and using the slowest speed possible.
Whahappened?
Is it my anti-virus (Avast!) or other 'anti-spyware' stuff (Threatfire, Diskeeper).
And I still don't understand why it's being 'seen' as an Optorite drive.
I. Am. Stumped.
I'd like to be able to burn stuff so that I can actually watch it in comfort not hunched over my desk staring at my 20" monitor.

The Wise Monkey
03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
It might be the program you are using - try a different one, if you can. Also, do you have a separate DVD player? It could be an issue with the PS2.

As for why the drive is showing as an Optorite... I have no idea... maybe the drivers that XP downloaded for it were messed up. Try uninstalling the drive via device manager, then re-installing it again.