PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this?

avengerz43
03-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Hello this is my first time to this site I was wandering if anyone could just help me determine if the following components will be compatible together before i drop all the money on all the parts and get them here and start assembling my PC and find out that something isn't compatible with something else. Just to clarify I read the sticky post and I'm not wanting to know neccessarily if my processor will go with my motherboard or whether my motherboard and power supply are compatible I already know that stuff I really want to know if I can use my video cards in SLI dual mode with my current setup. Like more specifically if the power supply will be enough power for the video cards, and if it will all fit into the case. So here's my PC info:

motherboard: The EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA Nforce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard.

Powersupply: Coolmax CUQ-1200B ATX12V/EPS12V 1200W Power Supply

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9650 Yorkfield 3.0 GHZ LGA 775 130W Quad Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650

jclaydon
03-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Well since none of the experts have chimed in yet, I'll just repeat what they most likely would say, since I have been reading on this forum for a couple of months now.. :)

First of all have you REALLY done your research with SLI? Most of the people here are very against it. The performance gain you get for the amount of money you spend is very bad according to the experts here.. Plus its extremely difficult to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Also most people do not need a 1200W power supply. Most of the experts on here will tell you it's also a waste of money.

Jamie, one of the senior memers of this forum and also a moderator always recommends a corsair 520HX. Its not really about the wattage rating but the QUALITY of the power supply and this one is the best in the industry..

If you REALLY want to get a higher wattage tho, i'm sure someone could recommend something.

RickyTick
03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
That's a very high-end setup you got there. If you got the cash, go for it.

If you're convinced you need that much power, a better psu is the Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W. It will run that setup and should fit into any standard ATX case.

Jamie Nixx
03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
SLi = waste of time

Motherboard = LOL

PSU = LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ;)

If you want to have the best PSU, i mean the best and also the MOST expensive, look no further than PC Power and Cooling as they are now top dogs in the PSU world.

If however you want a PSU that is recognised as one of the best and won't empty your wallet, get the Corsair HX520w as it will run any setup around now.

Ok, the CPU is a waste of money, big waste of money, they just can't justify the price that thing costs when a normal overclocked Quad core will do the same job and just as efficient.

Right now, the best all round bang for buck Motherboard is any with a P35 chipset, if you have more money you can go for an X48 chipset.

I personally would wait for the Penryn Quads to arrive, they keep getting delayed in the US for some reason but they are going to be good.

RickyTick
03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Here's the PSU I would recommend. :D

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=384&type=expert&pid=1

Should do the trick. What do you think? :D

Jamie Nixx
03-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Roflmao :D

avengerz43
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah lol at the 10,500W PSU. Thanks for the info guys I changed the PSU I'm getting to one of the ones you guys recommended. I also will further research SLI and whether or not it's worth it or not. Thanks again for the help.

Sailavie
03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Here's the PSU I would recommend. :D

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=384&type=expert&pid=1

Should do the trick. What do you think? :D

"Guuud One" - as spoken by Steve Martin in "The Pink Panther"