PDA

View Full Version : Quad Core running on all 4 cylinders!!!

ecarmody
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I got my superPC running! :D

Looking back, I never had any hardware issues (aside from first mobo dying and getting an RMA replacement). But with proper research so that the mobo/cpu were properly paired, and psu was plenty strong, everything plugged together and POSTED first time without issue.

I created my own problem trying to use an old Win98 install disk to boot/install the OS. Seems that does work well on this new generation of hardware. When I got a WinXP boot/install cd, it worked with no issues.

My final specs are:

Antex Sonata III case/500 watt PSU
Abit IP35 Pro motherboard
Intel Q6600 Quad cpu
2Gb G.Skill plus 2Gb Corsair Balistix memory
250Gb Seagate Barracuda hard drive
Creative EAX sound
8500Gt 512mb video card
19" wide Acer LCD
WinXP Pro

shyster
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Congrats.

So what do you plan to do with your new computer now? Video editing, playing games, surfing the internet?

ecarmody
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Congrats.

So what do you plan to do with your new computer now? Video editing, playing games, surfing the internet?

Well, spend half the time wrestling it away from my son who will be pushing the hardware to the max with the latest games. Then it will be my turn for some gaming. I also do software development/compiling. Course we all do internet surfing and online emailing, document editing. I also use Windows Movie Maker alot for the family videos I make. Little bit of everything. Going to be a smoking general/all use home computer I think.

I never would have started the build project had I not stumbled across www.MySuperPC.com. I was just looking around for computer deals when I found the site and thought ... "humm, that may be a better way to go".

The Wise Monkey
03-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Surely running on all 4 cores, rather than cylinders? ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

chunkylover53
03-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Well done! I have a very similar rig, and it is incredibly fast with video editing.

One thing though, I wouldn't describe it as "smoking". It's bad luck! :D

shyster
03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
One thing though, I wouldn't describe it as "smoking". It's bad luck! :D

Nawww Chunky, it is like one of those reverse good lucks. Kind of like telling an actor to break a leg before a show, same thing... probably.

You should just give your old computer to your son and tell him to use that and then security lock your new MySuperPC :p