PDA

View Full Version : PCI express backwards compatibility?

DemonicDerek
04-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok, I have been wondering if PCI express slots are backwards compatible so that a PCI card could use them.

In my situation:

MSI K9N SLI Platinum has:
PCI Express 16x: 2
PCI Express 1x: 2
PCI: 3

I am using up the 3 PCI with:
A sound card
A tv tuner
A wireless network adapter (If you know of a place and object that I could mount in my case that consists of internal USB ports then this PCI slot would be freed up. My main problem with having a network adapter that connects to the computer via usb is that the USB thing could easily be bumped and bent while in usage if it is on the out side plus it looks nicer for it to be not showing)

I am currently using up 1 PCI Express 16x slot for a video card.

So with the remaining PCI express slots would I be able to use those for items that connect via PCI. (hence the backwards compatibility from PCI Express 1x or 16x to PCI)

Rob
04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
No, you can't use a PCI card in a PCI Express slot. For starters, they are not physically compatible. I'm not aware of any kind of adapter.

DemonicDerek
04-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I also e-mailed MSI the question and I will have to wait for their response.

DemonicDerek
04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
At tiger direct I looked at the MSI K9N SLI Platinum page and looked at the PCI express section and here is what I found the important info is bolded and underlined all the rest is just the quote:

"PCI Express Support
The K9N SLI Platinum fully supports PCI Express, the latest I/O interconnect technology that speeds up the PCI bus. PCI Express features point-to-point serial interconnections between devices and allows higher clockspeeds by carrying data in packets. This high-speed interface is software compatible with existing PCI specifications."

I am thinking this contradicts what you said, Rob. However, correct me if I am wrong.

Rob
04-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Ok, I have been wondering if PCI express slots are backwards compatible so that a PCI card could use them.

The slots are not backwards compatible.