PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a better cpu cooler

partyman97_3
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello all, I have been tweaking my setup and I was wondering if I should think about investing in a better cpu cooler. According to core temp, both the cores run around 32 at idle and around 54 with prime 95 doing the small ftt test. I have overclocked it to 3ghz. These temps are only about 4 degrees higher than the stock speed. Once again, thanks for any input. What a difference at 3g, the computer is very snappy. Glen

Windows XP
GIGABYTE GA-P35 mobo
Intel Pentium E2160 1.8 GHZ
EVGA GeForce 8600GT 256MB video card
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2
320gb wd hard drive
Antec 900 case
Corsair HX 520W power supply

The Wise Monkey
03-09-2008, 05:31 AM
If you have overclocked that much, you should probably think about getting an aftermarket cooler, even if the temps appear OK. We all recommend the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, which is cheap but effective, but you could go for the Scythe Infinity if you have a lot to spend. :)

partyman97_3
03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the reply WM. Is this the Scythe you are talking about? If so its not much more than the Arctic Freezer. I read a couple of reviews about the Scythe and it sounds like an awesome cooler and fairly easy to install. Do I need to order some thermal grease or will the stuff with it suffice. And one more thing, do yopu think my case is plenty big to accomodate it? As usual, thanks for the help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185027

The Wise Monkey
03-09-2008, 12:57 PM
That's the one, and that is a very good price - definitely worth it, if you want to spend the extra 10 bucks.

The thermal paste that comes with it will be fine.

The Antec 900 should easily accomodate the cooler, but you may want to get a tape measure out and check with the rest of your components - you probably need about 18-20cm of area in all directions.