PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Check

legalaliens5
03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I am contemplating building my own PC. It will be used for online gaming (BF2 and BF3 when it comes out). Here is are the base components:

DFI Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS motherboard
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 95W Quad-Core
EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GEFORCE 8800GT Video Card
Antec NeoPower 650W (3 12V rails each @ 19A)
G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) RAM DDR2 800
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 (CAC-T05-UB) case
Seagate 250 Gb SATA 3.0Gb/s
LITE-ON SATA DVD Burner
Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition

What do you think? I really like DFI motherboards (have an older lanparty) and would prefer to stick with an AMD processor.

shyster
03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I do not see a case listed, that aside though if you are really determined to stick with AMD then the only thing I would suggest changing would be the PSU.

Check out the corsair 520HX you can get it for around $90 on buy.com.

Maybe you could change out the RAM to 2x2 corsair XMS2 which are good ram and really cheap with rebates right now. G.skill ram is very good from what I hear however so it is more a suggestion for you to look at rather than something you have to follow.

Other than that though, and the fact that you are going with AMD I do not not see any problems with your suggested build.

Jamie Nixx
03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Why would you prefer to stick with AMD?

Intel have obliterated them, their CPU's are better and their chipsets are the best available.

AMD = Sinking ship, jump off now.

RickyTick
03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
He listed the Coolermaster Centurion case. Its pretty cool.

I don't see any reason to waste your money on Vista Ultimate unless you need remote access to your pc. Home Premium works fine.

shyster
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
If you have ZERO intention to upgrade in the future and you want a kickass computer now, with parts that are cheap and avaliable, AMD is not really that bad a choice.

As I was discussing in another thread AMD's quad's are actually avaliable and fairly cheap compared to the inavalibility of Intels new chips and the huge markup that is going on right now because of the huge demand.

That being said, being on a sinking ship sucks and eventually you will drown with the rest of the crew if you get on it. So just really think about it before going thru with AMD.

On the other hand Jamie you know that we have been stealing customers from AMD right? Our community is pretty small, but taking business away from them will certainly not help them stay alive. Even if all we are technically doing is keeping customer aware of the future, if AMD does end up going down we are all screwed once intel has a monopoly.

Jamie Nixx
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Ok listen, AMD are no longer a bang for buck company, what i mean by this is that Intel have such a hold on the technology now that they can create CPU's that cost almost nothing and it will still outperform very high end AMD CPU's.

It would suck if AMD went bust, but at the end of the day, its their fault they are where they are now, they were too busy waiting to see what Intel would come up with next that they were totally unprepared for the onslaught of the Conroe, the rate Intel have been chucking them out is scary.

We are not stealing customers from AMD we are advising people on what is the best choice for their money and currently, its a no brainer, you go for Intel.

AMD brought this on themselves, they had a chokehold on the market for years and they let it go.