PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! NO BEEP, no fans

jclaydon
03-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Ok so i made a previous post about not being able to get the power supply to turn on.

Well i decided to wait until my cpu cooler came.

So it came today, i installed everything, connected it all up. Plugged in the power cord. the lights on the motherboard came on. Well i guess that's some progress

At this point, i pressed the red power button that is one the motherboard *ASUS commando* and the fans started to spin, and the power supply was spinning as well.

Then the LCD post on the motherboard said "INIT CPU" and now the fans don't spin anymore.

Did i fry something already? :(

I wish i could find my motherboard manual.... hmm I'm sure it will be online tho.

Anyone have any ideas?

-James

Edit:I guess it would be better if i posted the specs as well just in case.

motherboard:ASUS commando
Artic Freezer Pro cpu cooler
intel celeron D processor I got from ebay while I'm saving up for my dual core
corsair 2 x 1 gb pc 6400 memory
8800 gt pci video card

Amosmoses33
03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Found this on a forum elsewhere....

"CPU INIT means CPU Initialized. (Which if you are receiving the warning means it isn't)

There could be any number of things wrong, First try clearing the bios which I doubt will fix it since you haven't done any overclocking yet. Check for bent pins on the CPU and make sure the heat sink is seated properly. Make sure all the connectors are plugged in good and tight. If these things don't clear up the problem then either your Motherboard or Power supply may be bad.

Just an after thought but when you installed the motherboard did you make sure the board was only touching the case in the areas it is supposed to. Some cases require the use of standoffs when installing the motherboard."

I read elsewhere too to try using one stick of ram at a time

shyster
03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I am not familar with this board at all, but two things stand out to me. It seems like a different board than the one I have, as it has a p965 instead of a p35 northbridge. Although I am not too familar with all this technical stuff yet. It only supports a FSB upto 1066mhz and not 1333mhz for the new e8400's.

I cannot remember what you were trying to do with this computer that is to say is it for gaming, graphic design, or just low end stuff like word processing and web browsing?

The thing I would suggest, although I hate to do so, would be to call Asus tech support. They are a joke on the whole, but since your board actually has a LCD layout they might be able to tell you something more.

Other than that I can only wish you well, and hope that someone else comes along with a better answer.

jclaydon
03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, at least i got the fans spinning again. That was solved by checking the pin connections.

As for the rest I'm not sure.. Upon further inspection the Artic freezer wasn't properly seated. For some reason I just cannot get the thing to sit properly even when i use a screwdriver. I thought i was going to break the plastic tabs i had to use so much force to get it in the second time, and it still won't cooperate..

I think i'll have to take it to the local computer guy.. *sigh*

I was REALLY hoping i'd be able to do this myself.. :(

guess i'm just not the technical sort of person..

thanks for all the help anyway

-James

shyster
03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I do not know if it is true for all of them but my artic freezer pro only stays in place if I do not "screw" them in. In otherwords I just push them down when they are turned all the way to the left, turning them to the right seems to "unscrew" on mine.

That however should not be the cause of failed initilization, so before taking it too a guy I would try unpluging everything first and then re-plugging everything back in.

I would make sure the CPU is facing the correct direction as in the arrow is facing the bottom left corner.

And I would try Asus tech support.

Unless you really need this computer up and running today or something I would try to wait it out and see if some of the other guys here could give you some help, our resident English are pretty smart and might have something up their sleeves in terms of tricks or ideas.

Besides taking it too a guy could take up to a week and $100.

Of course if you are set on taking it to someone I cannot stop you, nor am I trying to, I am just trying to give helpful suggestions to save you money, and so that you can learn something.

The problem with taking it to a tech guy, is he will probably not tell you what he did or how he did it, which means when you try to stick in the duo core you are planning to get later you could have the same problem.

jclaydon
03-06-2008, 12:43 AM
A couple of things popped into my head a few hours ago. I tried to clean the cpu as best as I could, but i didn't have any proper cleaner. If the cpu was still dirty would that make a difference at all?

If one of the pins is bent will it be really obvious, i don't see anything off hand that stands out.

Also, i double checked to make sure the motherboard wasn't touching the case. All the holes on the case are used, but there is one extra hole in the motherboard that can have a screw except there is no post on the case to screw it into, does that matter at all?

I suppose if i have to, i'll call tech support.. I have this thing about people and phones.. i just hate being around them.. heheh

anyone else have any ideas?

-James

edit:one last thing I remembered after opening the case and looking again. The motherboard I'm using has a 24 pin power connector and an 8 pin, but the power suppy only has a 24 and a 4 pin. Does that matter at all?

jclaydon
03-06-2008, 01:49 AM
well after some debate i pulled everything out, including the cpu and then plugged the power cord into the power supply.. I got the exact same message on the lcd post.. so I am going to try re-installing the cpu.. I'll let you know how that goes

-James

Ok after carefully reading the manual online it says "DO NOT REMOVE PNP CAP unless installing a cpu" does this mean I should put it back after i put the cpu in the socket?

Amosmoses33
03-06-2008, 08:00 AM
No...the cooler goes directly on top of the cpu, just put the plastic cover in the cpu box it came in incase you need it one day. Did you try moving the ram around in the slots? or just using one stick of ram?

jclaydon
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I took everything off/out of the motherboard, including the ram and video card and the sound card that came with the motherboard.

Then I put the cpu back in and i plugged in the power cord but I didn't turn it on with the front switch on the case*which is what seems to turn the power supply on so that it's own fan and the cpu fan spins*. I got the exact same message as when i did when i plugged in the power cord without the cpu in the socket.

chunkylover53
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm confused, sorry. Below it sounded like you were turning the power on without having the cpu cooler and thermal grease installed, which is BAD.:eek:

Have you started from scratch and are you following the MSPC directions? Install CPU, apply thermal compound, install CPU cooler, etc.?

And yes, as far as I know, you need to get some Isopropyl alcohol and clean the CPU thoroughly. It needs to be spotless before you apply new thermal compound.

jclaydon
03-06-2008, 02:40 PM
ok I tried to take pictures but the webcam i have is total crap so you couldn't see anything so i'll try to be clear.

what i meant by power on is
power supply unit switch set to on
cord plugged into power supply
power supply fan is spinning
cpu fan spinning
board lights are all on

if i just plug in the cord and turn just the power switch to on with no cpu in the socket here's what happens

power supply unit fan not spinning
cpu fan not spinning
no board lights
LCD poster lights up with message init CPU

if i stick the the processor into the socket and attach the heat sink without turning the power on, i get the exact same message.

On another note, i noticed that the top plate that rests on top of the cpu when you push the lever down is bent. Does anyone know if that makes any difference?

Also there is now thermal compound all over the plate and the rim surrounding the top part of the cpu that is raised. Would that cause a short circuit?

shyster
03-06-2008, 03:52 PM
:confused:

I am still really confused with all that is going on but I will try to give help with what I think are your questions/problems.

First to clear some things up:

1. You did try to turn on the computer with EVERYTHING installed correct? This means at least everything for first boot, RAM, CPU, GPU, CPU HSF, and all cords correctly placed.

2. You tried to turn on the computer minus a CPU, but with the HSF still plugged into the four pin slot? Upon doing this no fans spun, HSF or power supply fan, but the computer still had power and cameback with original error: init cpu, correct?

All I can say is pictures would be really helpful if you could get them.

Yes thermal paste could cause a short, but it can also cause a CPU not to run, without actually causing physical damage if the thermal paste is overruning the sides and posssibly getting onto the motherboard. Make sure everything is clean, cpu, HSF, zero-pressure lock, and motherboard.

Before trying rebuild the computer and turn everything on again make sure you have more themal paste to apply lying around so that you can put it on so as not to damage your CPU. Starting a CPU without a HSF or thermal paste can cause damage to the processor.

By the way I do not remember if this was ever asked/answered, but you mentioned you bought this processor off of e-bay. Was it new or used?

Damage to the pins should be noticable, they should be straight, if they are anything other, then it could be damaged.

if i stick the the processor into the socket and attach the heat sink without turning the power on, i get the exact same message.

What is this all about? You put the CPU into the computer, turned on the power supply but not the case, and you get this message?

Big question:

Have you tried calling Asus and asking about this issue? They are dumb but if you actually have something specific they might know something.

As I mentioned I am pretty damn confused as to what you have and have not done so far. After re-reading your first post however it seems that you powered up from the onboard switch on the motherboard? Did you ever try to power up from the case power button? If you have not tried that do so, but first power off the motherboard's onboard power switch.

Also do you get any video output, I saw on their forums that someone had the same init cpu as you, but they were still able to boot up and get video.

I guess that is all I can suggest for now until you respond to my questions. Seriously though try calling Asus, at least two or three times if you can, you might get lucky and find someone intelligent.

jclaydon
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
ok.. now I'm confused *lol*

but.. yes to 1 and 2.

"What is this all about? You put the CPU into the computer, turned on the power supply but not the case, and you get this message?"

that's right the psu & hs fans only turn on if i press the power switch on the front case. but if i just turn the psu switch on the board everything lights up

as for tech support i've called twice.. both times i've gotten an operator asking me to leave my name & number. so far no one has called me back.

-James

shyster
03-06-2008, 11:59 PM
An operator? I have called them like four times and always gotten a person who was "willing" to help. They did not have any knowledge at all, but they at least pretended they did.

I believe their support is open 24/7 so just call late at night or something.

Other than that I am totally stumped right now. Hopefully one of those Brits can help, or I can think of something overnight.

jclaydon
03-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Oh.. geez i've been so upset that I totally forgot to answer your other question.. The CPU was used, so it could be dead but I'm not sure if there's anyway to be absolutely sure other than buying another cpu which i can't afford right now.

Altho the board is under extended wartunee so i have three years to return if something's wrong.. *lol*

thanks for all the prompt posts

-James

Amosmoses33
03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
you would turn both switches on, turn on the psu power then the front power, its not an either/or deal.

shyster
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
you would turn both switches on, turn on the psu power then the front power, its not an either/or deal.

What was that post regarding exactly Amos? I have an idea what you might be referring to, but would like some more detail before I make that assumption.

jclaydon
03-11-2008, 07:02 AM
ok so i talked to a tech guy at one of the retail stores where I bought my motherboard. He said that the intel celeron may be incompatable with the celeron chip i purchased. It was designed to go with a high end processor like the dual cores.

He said if i bring it in he'll test the board and chip and flash the bios if necessary for free. I'll let you all know what happens.

-james

Amosmoses33
03-11-2008, 09:00 AM
i may have not understood what he meant. Ive seen power supplies with an on/off switch on them, but that doesnt turn on the computer. You have to use the on/off button on the computer, but the power supply has to be on first :)

shyster
03-11-2008, 10:46 AM
That is nice of the guy to do it for free.

That being said did I mention I really do not like Asus at this point in time? If you go off of newegg's site then no your chip does not work under the recommended specs, but if you actually go to the Asus product page it says intel celeron D as an acceptable chip.

Of course that means nothing with Asus, since their P5KC board is also a joke in terms of meeting what it boasts.