PDA

View Full Version : Sonata III Grounding Issues

nthman
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Greetings,

Anyone else having issues with the Sonata III restarting or shutting down as the result of touching the front panel? What happens to me is that frequently when I touch the panel, I get a slight static electricity shock (nothing major) and the system restarts or shuts down.

I contacted Antec and they said they were aware of the problem but currently have no solution.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if they had found a solution. I was considering trying to replace the Sonata III with a different case but I really like this one and it seems to have many features that some cases lack.

Thanks for your replies.

waggabu
04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey dude. I'm having the exact same issue. USB and headphones into the front panel resets my system.

Here's what I'm trying, as per the recommendations of some other board.

Find a metal spot on the inside of the front panel. Attach a thin gauge wire to it, and run the wire through the case. Attach the other end of the wire to a screw on the back of the case.

Someone else recommended running the wire straight through the back of the case to your nearest power outlet and grounding it on the center screw of the outlet plate.

bighoo93
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
On a different forum, I noticed someone say that Antec sent them a replacement front that was made of non-metalicized plastic, and that this solved the problem. I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else, so I don't know if he was telling the truth or if it was a one-shot deal. Still, I would suggest contacting Antec and asking about this. I am interested because I am planning on using a Sonata III for my new build in the next month or so.