PDA

View Full Version : new at computers

mikey23r
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I was given a desktop about 2 years ago, and it has windows xp on it.
it was runing slow, i was told it was because it has a 40 gig hard drive and very little memory. So i bought a 120 gig hard drive. then i got hurt and did not go back to it. now i have alot newer computer with a small hard drive,
but it has windows me. i like windows xp.

Is there a way i can combine my 120 gig hard drive which is ide, and the new computer which has a sata capability, together and what do i do about my windows xp from the old system when i was given this it did not come with any disks.

Hopefully, l am not locked into a bunch of nothing for a pc.

mikey23r
03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
This is mikey23r, I tried to post a message to see if anyone could help me but i guess i did not leave a place to be contacted. so please fogive me i don't know if this will get my questions answered or not but here it goes.

My E-Mail address is mike_w_c2006@yahoo.com
please help, because i don't know if i should look here for any answers or on my e-mail, and i have a really fast computer but i don't know how to get windows xp on it from my old computer/hard drive.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

RickyTick
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Hey Mikey

You've posted in the right place, and this is where you will get an answer.

The problem is I'm not sure how to answer your question. :confused:

What kind of pc do you have? Is it a home built system, or store bought? A computer with Windows ME on it is probably at least 7 yrs old. Does that sound right?

mikey23r
03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
my newest computer, i don't think is that old, because it has the new sata
hard drive connections on it. i bought it from a friend it was a store bought computer at one time, i think its a hp but its in a different case cause the friend said he hated the small cramped space i think he said its a pavillian.

He said the only reason it has windows me on it is because he didn't like windows xp. he is currently using windows vista and loves it.

I' truly sorry i don't know much about e-mailing or pc-ing, but i'm told the newer computer has the newer sata type hard drive connectors, and it had a cd rom and a cd burner so i tried to put my old hard drive on one of the 40 pin connectors but windows xp won't come up. i paid this friend good money, and he's tired of me asking questions on how to make it work. So now i'm stuck with windows xp home on my old hard drive and a fast computer with no way to make the two to work.

mikey23r
03-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I have sent some posts, earlier but since then have had no replys, and I am not sure how to look at anyone's reply if they did answer me. my new computer is a hp pavillian only 2-3 years old, my question now is how, or can I use the windows xp from my old pc and hard drive on my much newer and faster computer? please forgive me if this sounds silly. but i still have a pile of stuff and don't know how to use it.

Thanks to all who might tell me how to do this, do i call microsoft and tell the i upgraded and can i back up, will this let me save my windows operating system and what i have on the old drive so i can place it on the new system? please help<\, anyone!

The Wise Monkey
03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
You can use the hard drive from your old computer in your new one, but you will need to buy a new copy of XP, unfortunately.

RickyTick
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
OK Mikey, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You have an old computer with Windows XP.

You bought a 3yr of computer from a friend, and it has Windows ME.

You want to tranfer the stuff from the XP computer to the ME computer.

If possible, you would like to just transfer the hard drive itself from the XP computer to the newer ME computer.

Sound about right?

mikey23r
03-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your response

What you said was kinda correct, i want to get rid of the windows ME, and take the windows xp and files that came from my old slow computer and its old hard drive i don't want to use and somehow put it on my newer computer. long story short i had bought a new and bigger hard drive that has the new style ata drive. Can I just downlowd the windows xp operating system and my files from my smaller hard drive that has 40 pins to the new drive, ata and put it on the the faster computer and bigger hard drive. do i contact microsoft? because i took out my cd rom which has 40 pins to see if the 40 pin hard drive with my windows xp would boot up and it does not. hope this makes sence. keep my files and win xp and upgrade to new stuff.

Thanks SO much for responding to my problem.

Mikey23r.

RickyTick
03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Looks like this would be a pretty big hassle to change.

You could use your old IDE hard drive from your old computer in the new one but you'll need a sata interface on your motherboard or buy a pci card like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006

I think I would shop around for a new hard drive that has IDE. And like Wise Monkey said, you'll need a new copy of Windows XP. You can't transfer the OS from one pc to the other without a license from Microsoft.

What is on your old pc that you want to transfer to the new one?

mikey23r
03-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Thank ypu all for the responses

The only thing i need off the old hard drive is the os and my bussiness files i believe i can copy the bussiness files but its the win xp i would prefer to keep, the old computer and its win xp is ligitamate so can i just call microsoft and tell them of the upgrade? also i will buy the interface card that you sugested, thanks that way i can use both the old drive and the new one.

mikey23r
03-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I hope God smiles on all the smart and nice people like you guys, because it feels good to know someone who is very smart, and that is willing to help the less fortunate like myself understand what to do.

I would like to know if there is a cheaper "win xp os" besides the two hundred plus dollars kind, maybe i should just do this instead. but someone told me if you have a ligitamate copy of win xp, microsoft can give you a code to make you old copy work on an upgraded computer.

anyways thanks again for all your help.

shyster
03-11-2008, 10:58 AM
I do not know what version of xp you are using currently, nor what you what for your new computer, however here is a link to neweggs OEM xp list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=windows+xp+oem

and home edition:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

Before you go and buy any of these, make sure you know what OEM means and how it works.

And yes you are correct if you have a retail copy of XP you can legally transfer that OS to a different computer if you first remove it from the old computer you are taking it from. Unless you are planning on doing this often (building new computers and getting rid of old ones) you probably do not need to pay full price for a retail version.

That being said though make sure you do know the risks and dangers of OEM before you go buying it.

mikey23r
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the web sites, and the info. I'll contact either hp or microsoft to see if i can transfer my win xp home edition. but here is the last question.

should i buy a different type of win xp, rather than win xp oem?, i most likely will not get any other computer after this upgrade/newest computer.

Thanks again, from mikey23r

shyster
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
If you are planning to stick with this current/most recent computer until XP becomes obsolete, and Vista takes over...

...Then yes an OEM would be the way to go if you want to save money. It is unlikely that hp or microsoft will let you trade your old hp xp to a new computer. It is not totally impossible though since it seems Jaime has done it, not sure if it was just with normal OEM OS's, or if he has also done it with a mass produced dell, hp, alienware OS as well.