PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem

foreverviet88
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
i need to get another computer into the internet but i dont want to use wireless so i got a router (im using ethernet wires) but when i set up everything it doesnt work it says limited or no connectivity, im not sure if i did i right i plugged the modem into the router then plugged both comps into the router

if anyone can help itd be great thx n much appreciated

RickyTick
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Well you've got to set up your network. There are great tutorials at microsoft.com.

What kind of router is it?

shyster
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
It will also depend what internet provider you are using.

If it is comcast you will need to have them give you a second ip for the second computer.

OR you will need to run the connection into the first computer, then run your ethernet wire to the router and have the router connect to the other computer. <--This method gets around having to order a second computer since they share the ip address, or rather the second computer piggybacks off the first ones connection. It is more of a pain to do and I have not personally done it, so I can only give out the suggestion, someone else would have to give you the technical breakdown, or support.

And of course follow Ricky's advice and check out Microsoft.

RickyTick
03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
It really doesn't matter who the ISP is.

When you install the router, there is a setup procedure to have multiple pc's using the same broadband connection. It's very simple.

Windows Wizards will walk you through all of it.

shyster
03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Well like I said I have not done it, but I am pretty sure that comcast does not allow two computers to have the same IP if one is not running under the other on the chain I mentioned previously.

I just mention this because we intially tried to set up the computers to run on the same IP and it would not work, we had to get a second IP from comcast.

This could just be a comcast thing, or it could just be I did not, and still currently do not have the technical knowledge on how to do what you are describing Ricky.

foreverviet88
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
its a linksys router

im using yahoo high speed

BobaFettK
03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I had this problem when we got a new cable modem from comcast. If your cable modem does NOT have battery back-up, try removing the power cord from the back of the modem. Then plug it back in, wait a few seconds for the connection to be detected, and see if both your computers work. If not, try pulling the power cord out of the router, plug it back in, and wait a few seconds.

If your cable modem IS backed up with a battery then unplugging it will have no effect unless you leave it unplugged for several hours. There should be a reset switch at the back or on the bottom. If you press this button in with the pointed end of a paperclip, it should reset the modem, which should then detect the new devices and IP addresses. This is how I had to "fix" mine.

If this doesn't work, hopefully someone else on the forums has another idea. Good luck.

RickyTick
03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Power up the router and connect it to the modem with the ethernet cable.
Connect one computer to the router.
Open the router's Admin Tool. With Linksys you will type in http://192.168.1.1 in your browser address box
From here its just a matter of following the instructions that came from Linksys.
When you're setting up the Security, remember that WPA is more secure than WEP.

Then you can connect another computer to the router with another ethernet cable. Most Linksys routers will have 4 ports on the back for connecting multiple pc's. Which router do you have btw?

Afterwards, if you want to share files or share a printer between the two pc's, you can use the Windows Wizard to set up the Home Network.

kagomeghe
08-04-2008, 01:43 AM
i need to get another computer into the internet but i dont want to use wireless so i got a router (im using ethernet wires) but when i set up everything it doesnt work it says limited or no connectivity, im not sure if i did i right i plugged the modem into the router then plugged both comps into the router

if anyone can help itd be great thx n much appreciated

hello!

if you already have a router, you do not need to call your isp to get another IP address for your 2nd computer. the router will automatically provide a private ip address on your computers. what you just need to do basically is to configure the router, connect your computer hardwired or wirelessly and your done. it will work automatically as long as the settings on the router are correct

if you get the limited or no connectivity error message on one of your computer while you are connected directly to the router, try to connect the computer to a diff port or try a different cable chances are that there might be something wrong with the port or with the cables. make sure also that the adapter installed on that computer is enabled and the driver is installed and updated. you may also try assigning static ip address on the computer.