PDA

View Full Version : Coursework Help!

Jamie Nixx
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi all, need some help on my coursework.

Basically i need to list the potential risks involved in carrying out a hardware installation i.e motherboard into case etc.

I need risks to personal health and how to avoid them and risks to the computer and how to avoid them :D

I should really know all this but my mind has gone blank :rolleyes:

Cheers.

RickyTick
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I guess the obvious is a risk of Electricution.
There are some pretty sharp pieces in there to get cut on too.

Let me think on this for a while...

Jamie Nixx
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I have that one, for a user i put down risk of electricution and risk to a component being static.

Thanks for any further help, i am stumped.

shyster
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Well obvious things, but things I have heard from professionals non the less.

Damage to computer:

not screwing everything in fully/correctly = I heard a story about how an IT guy forgot to rescrew in an internal hard drive. The person then took the computer on a plane and the hard drive got scrambled.

overuse of force = If you are too hard when mounting the HSF you could potentially damage the motherboard.

Butterfingers = dropping parts if you are carrying them around for some reason.

Messing with BIOS and increasing voltage by too much <-- this might not classify as a hardware issue, but I do not know how wide your scope is so just listing everything.

It goes with your electrics, but a twist on it. Forgetting to unplug the power while trying to work on parts (could fry parts, as well as human).

Ohh incorrectly mounting RAM, trying to force an incorrect ram into a different style ram slot, or putting it in, in reverse.

Putting the CPU in with the arrow in the wrong direction.

Not using the zero-force locking system.

Messing with the thermal paste, taking it off and not putting it back on, putting too much on, etc.

Dangers to people doing install:

Getting their asswhooped by the person whos computer they FUBAR'ed.

as Ricky said, motherboard is sharp and you could cut yourself on it.

Frying yourself with a live power wire.

Ingesting thermal paste intentionally or otherwise.

Sorry that is all I got for now. Pretty hard to think of ways for a person to injure themselves while doing a computer build.

The Wise Monkey
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
If you are using a screwdriver to remove the CMOS battery, then you could damage the motherboard/cut yourself.

shyster
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Ohh good call I used tweasers.

Jamie Nixx
03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
All done, thanks for the help :D