PDA

View Full Version : First Build. Questions regards Driver Install and related topics.

zburns
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
First build, have most components, no floppy drive, no modem. Do not think I need them. Will use flash card to download drivers from a Sony Viao with Win XP. I assume downloading on XP and then uploading this data to the new computer is ok?

Before starting the build, I am going thru Rob's instructions to see that I understand them as to specifically "what I have to do". Internet connection is broadband. My OS is Vista Ultimate. Components are essentially Rob's list.

BIOS Settings will have been done several steps prior to installing the OS.

When downloading Driver Software from a mfg website, is this done from "secure servers", or is their a possibility of a "corrupted download"? Is there any reason that it would be better to use the component's CD disc with driver data and later overwrite the CD driver data with a current mfg driver download when the new computer is theoretically secure ?

Vista has a Full System Restore Capability in case I screw up (almost a given). I think Jamie Nixx is now using Vista Ultimate. Once I load the OS, the next step is Driver Installation download for the motherboard; will the Vista "Full Restore Capability" be usable from this point on in the build process if I need it?

Thanks in advance for the helpful comments. zburns

chunkylover53
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
IMO, cough up the extra 8 bucks for the floppy. In Rob's words, in many cases it's the path of least resistance. Plus, most of us have the open space in the case. But, there are a few other ways, so it's not make or break. If you don't need dial up for internet or faxing, then you don't need the modem.

The only driver that I would probably use the mobo cd to install would be for the onboard LAN. Once that is up and running, you can download the drivers directly onto your new PC rather than going through the process of downloading to a flash disk. I personally would look for most recent copies of all of the drivers on the mfr's website first, but I don't suppose there's any reason you can't use the cd first and then update. Seems like an unnecessary step, but shouldn't be harmful. As far as downloading to a disk on an XP machine, that won't matter. As long as you select the correct drivers for Vista, the OS on the machine you use to download will have no impact.

As long as you get the updated drivers from the manufacturers site, you also shouldn't have too much to worry about in terms of corrupt or insecure drivers. Just don't use mirror sites or "driver sites", which might not be trustworthy. If I'm wrong on that, someone will jump in and correct me.

And as for the Vista restore, it should create a restore point as soon as it's loaded. You should be able to back up all the way to the moment the OS was first installed. Of course iIf something goes wrong with a driver, it's just as easy to "roll back" to a previous driver vs. using restore function, but either way should work.

Did I miss any of your questions?

zburns
03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks CL53. I think you did answer everything and I really appreciate the help. The several computers I can work with are all relatively "insecure" compared to what they should be, hence my concerns. My grandaughter works with the Sony and thinks any "prompt" that tells her to do something should be obeyed. May wind up at Kinkos, their machines should be secure.