PDA

View Full Version : Compatible ram?

vivaldiscool
03-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Hello, I have two questions, as this is my first time upgrading ram, my questions might seem incredibly simple.

First of all, as things stand I have 1GB of memory in the form of two 512MB PC2-5300 333MHz sticks. Now, I was planning on getting this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
so I was wondering, would it be better to keep my old ram in addition to this (I have 4 slots) and have 3GBs at the cost of keeping the 333MHz speed? Or should I toss the old ram and settle for 2 gigs with the benifit of the higher speed.

As for my second question, I've read several things about this ram having higher than usual power requirments, so how would I be able to tell if I can meet them?

I'm running 32bit Windows XP, and the extra ram will be for video editing, 3d rendering, and gaming.

Many thanks for your help.

shyster
03-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I would say 2Gbs of faster ram is probably better than 3GBs of slow ram, but to be sure you could stick them all in, and run a benchmarking program. I do not know the name of one that would test the ram speed and efficiency off hand but I am sure there must be one.

In regards to the power consumption I cannot answer that, if you told us your current specs, what you are running and how big your current power supply is someone might be able to help you. I believe Rob also has on his site a link to a power consumption checker and that might calculate if your computer can deal with the extra energy out put. I have not used it so I cannot comment on it personally.

Since you are running a 32 bit system they can only handle at most 3gbs and I am not sure how well they do it, again I lack personal experience. But it seems that I have seen places that getting close to the limit causes malfunctions sometimes.

chunkylover53
03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree with Shyster. Once you mix them, the faster memory will "clock down" to match the slower memory. But as Shyster said, you can always try using both and run Sisoft Sandra to benchmark them.

Just remember to keep them "matched", and that will depend on your mobo. You would think that if you have 4 slots and they look like they're already paired up, than that would be the best matching config. However, I have six (A1-3 and B1-3) and the mobo recommends matching A1 with B1, and so forth.

vivaldiscool
03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Frist of all, thanks for the replies both of you.

In regards to the power consumption I cannot answer that, if you told us your current specs, what you are running and how big your current power supply is someone might be able to help you. I believe Rob also has on his site a link to a power consumption checker and that might calculate if your computer can deal with the extra energy out put. I have not used it so I cannot comment on it personally.

Let me go ahead and tell you, this is a pre built dell computer that was given to me as a present, so I may not have all the information necessary, as far as I know, My current specs are...

Computer model: Dell Dimension DM061
Mainbord: Model 0WG864, Chipset P965/G965
CPU: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz (dual core) Core VID, 1.324 V (that sounded useful)
Video card: ATI x1300pro

My current ram voltage is 1.8 V per stick.

I couldn't find any way to check my power source other than opening my comp and looking, so I may have gotten the wrong info,

Power source: model number n35n-03, 305 watt max output,
Input 100-120V \9.A
Input 200-240V \4.5A

Just remember to keep them "matched", and that will depend on your mobo. You would think that if you have 4 slots and they look like they're already paired up, than that would be the best matching config. However, I have six (A1-3 and B1-3) and the mobo recommends matching A1 with B1, and so forth.
:confused: Sorry, I'm fairly competent with using my computer, but not nearly so much with the internal workings, as such I didn't really understand a word you said.:(

RickyTick
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Your current power supply is fine.

2gb of ram is plenty for your needs. I would suggest going to www.crucial.com and run the system analyzer to determine the best combination of ram for that Dell. They guarantee their ram to work.

I would guess that 2 sticks of ram (1gb each) will be you best option.

vivaldiscool
03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Do you have reason to beleve that the corsair memory I posted earlier would not be usuable by my system? Because after the rebate, it seems beat to crucial in "value to doller" by a vast margin.

partyman97_3
03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Not to put words in Ricky's mouth, but the crucial memory analyzer is a very good tool. You can run the scan on your computer and then compare the results from the scan to see if the memory you are looking it is comaptible for your computer. That corsair memory is outstanding and the price is phenominal.

RickyTick
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Partyman is right on the money.

Corsair.com also has a Memory Configurator.

vivaldiscool
03-05-2008, 10:53 PM
:( well, both sites recomened something worse than what I wanted, but as near as I could tell, it was only because my motherboard can support a max PC2-5300, while this is PC2-6400, but doesn't it just downgrade to the highest possible speed? I'd really hate to have to pay more for less.

partyman97_3
03-06-2008, 05:47 AM
You are correct, it will slow down to match the existing ram. Get that ram before the price goes up or the rebate goes away. Be prepared though, the rebate takes awhile. I ordered mine in early December and still haven't got my rebate. God luck and let us know what you think of the difference in performance

RickyTick
03-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Go back to that newegg link you provided in the OP. If you check the Specifications, it says it requires 2.1 volts. If you have a Dell or HP, you might not be able to adjust the ram voltage in the BIOS. I know some people have that ram running at the system default 1.8v, but others have had issues with it.

That's why I suggested the Crucial, because they guarantee theirs to work.

Just a thought.