PDA

View Full Version : Build for the Office

floridarandy
03-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I've previously built a desktop for my home (2005) using this site as well as a college computer for my first child (2006). Both were great fun and easy to do. Now its time to replace the Dell in the office and I've got a question as I start the process.

The only component that must come out of the existing Dell is the video card that supports 3 dell monitors. Its a PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 440 that appears, from google search, to still be the same model i bought several years ago. its a PCI-E x1 / x16 interface and an ATX ful height, 1/2 length form factor with max digital resolution of 1920x1200.

My question: Are there any limitations or optimums in choice of motherboard or processor given the current mysuperpc recommendations? The Dell is an old Pentium4, 2.6Ghz machine that's probably 5 or 6 years old and successfully accepted this card a couple of years ago. Since its still sold, the card that is, I assume the newest MB's handle it?

Thanks

Ranyd

shyster
03-01-2008, 03:14 PM
its a PCI-E x1 / x16 interface and an ATX ful height, 1/2 length form factor with max digital resolution of 1920x1200.

You really just answered your own question. By saying it is a pci-e card that tells you all you need to know. If you just look around at current motherboards you will see that they support PCI-E as their cards for the most part. If the card had been an AGP card you might have had trouble withe newer motherboards.

As always wait for a second opinion on this, I am pretty sure I am correct, but I have never used your graphics card before so I cannot say 100%. Chunky will definately know as this is kind of his area, and so will our resident techs, Jamie, WiseMonkey, and Ricky.

RickyTick
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks

Ranyd

They say that 5 out of 2 people are dyslexic. :D :D

Seriously though, if the Quaddro would run in your old Dell, then you shouldn't have any problems with newer motherboards like the Intel P35 or x38, which has the PCI Express x16.

I'm not really sure if the Quaddro is compatible with Vista, but with the new Vista Service Pack, it might work.

And it will support up to 4 monitors.

jclaydon
03-01-2008, 04:51 PM
They say that 5 out of 2 people are dyslexic. :D :D

Lysdexics of the world UNTIE!! :D

floridarandy
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
For your consideration and recommendation are two bundles. No gaming here, but lots of multi-tasking with 3 monitors. Primarily spreadsheets, word docs and online databases (financial planning office), including slingbox reception for CNBC, etc during the day....and of course a good sound system when i work late :).

I'm not afraid to spend the money for a 5+ year usage, but dont' want to waste money for the sake of spending, either:

Common Elements:

WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB, 10,000 RPM Sata, 16MB Cache for OS and programs
WD WD5000AAKS, 500 GB 7200 RPM Sata, 16MB Cache for Programs
WD WD7500AAKS, 750GB 7200 RPM Sata, 16MB Cache for Removable Backup usint Aconis True Image
Zalman CNPS9500 CPU Fan

Case: Antec Sonata III but would appreciate recommendation if there's a better case. Have Sonata II and have liked it.

CD/DVD: Can I get by with only 1 drive? If so, which? I don't do a lot of burning, but do on occasion.

Multi Card Reader - With all the XD, SD, miniSD cards I need a recommendation on a good one....maybe a 1/2 height...maybe external???

OK, now for the two bundles:

Intel: Core 2Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 GHz LGA 775 with ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA

or

AMD: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2 GHz Socet AM2 with ASUS M2n32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2

I look forward to your thoughts. Also, please include memory spec...i'd been leaning to 4 GB, but will listen to less. Specific brand recommendation appreciated.

Thanks! Please add anything I forgot. Please see top of post for existing video card which will go in this system.

RickyTick
03-02-2008, 09:05 PM
This is a new case that just came out. Its very professional and very functional.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119150&Tpk=cosmos%2bs

Here's a current review of it too

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=530

As far as the bundles go, the Intel offers the most performance.
A very nice DVD R/W is the Samsung SH-S203B.