PDA

View Full Version : Sony DRU 840A DVD R-W

2scooprice
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
A heads up for those of you who purchased this drive and changed the bezel from white to black or vice versa. Sony tech support, after I called to RMA the drive, informed me that they have had numerous calls about new drives of this ilk that opened upon first boot and would not stay closed after numerous attempts to do so, both manually and with the button. This will drive you crazy because you will not be able to install the OS. :( To troubleshoot, take the bezels off and plug the drive into the nearest power plug. If the drive remains closed, or opens and you are then able to close it successfully, the bezel is the problem and you should call Sony tech support at 1-800-588-3847. They will send you a replacement. I am not counting on the replacement being the answer so Plan B is to paint the white bezel black. It is already well primed :) If the drive keeps opening, then the drive mechanism is the problem. Sony will send you a new bezel or RMA the drive. I looked real closely at the bezels and the white ones are of much better quality. The black one is flimsier and does not readily snap into place, thereby creating a situation where the drive cannot fully close. The one I have actually has a Dell stamp on it - another testament to globalization and common suppliers.

RickyTick
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
That DVD drive comes with both a black and beige bezel according to this
http://www.mysuperpc.com/dvd_rw_change_front_panel_bezel.shtml

I did a Google search on the drive and possible bezel problems had came up with nothing. :confused:

Rob
03-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Personally, I didn't encounter any problems at all. Maybe they have changed the construction the drive since I purchased mine in the fall of 2007.

2scooprice
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I only posted for those that have issues, Ricky Tick. Some may not and I am glad for those folks. Again, this was relayed to me by the Sony tech support person and I have no other documentation to support this.