PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to Internet on new computer

shyster
03-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Hello,

It seems that I got my new computer up and running, but now when I plug in the cord to connect it to the internet, it will not automatically retrieve the IP address. I am currently using comcast and when I called them they said I needed to go under network settings and configure the DHCP option, unfortunately I do not have such an option.

Is this something that a reinstall will fix or is there something else I need to or can do?

RickyTick
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Are you using a router?

shyster
03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes and no, I tried just using the connection straight from the converter box, that comcast provides, and that did not work. Now I have it hooked up through my router so that I can use the internet on this computer.

In case you are wondering I did also install the intel chipset drivers for my motherboard. It is the Abit IP35pro

RickyTick
03-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I have Time Warner Cable, so use their Road Runner Broadband.

To be honest, when I built my system, I just plugged the wire from my broadband modem right into the ethernet port on my 'puter and had instant internet. I don't remember doing anything but plugging it in.

Don't know if it matters, but I'm running Vista. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

shyster
03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Okay so I just got a smart Comcast rep. I know rare as hell but it does happen.

It seems that even after installing my drivers, the ones from the cd, the computer is still not recognizing the network devices. Under device manage it says:
monitor,
other devices (where network should be),
and then processors...

Since you have a very similar build to mine Ricky, same motherboard, and yes I am also running vista. Is there some other driver I should install, or should I get the ones from Abit's webpage? They seem pretty old, to the point that they should be the one currently on my cd.

I installed the intel chipset drivers, as well as going into the cd and installing the 8110sc and reltek drivers.

chunkylover53
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Assuming you already loaded the updated driver for the onboard LAN, you might just need to follow the wizard again for add a network connection. I tried doing the network wizard prior to updating the LAN drivers, and I got messed up a little. I deleted the old connection after I loaded the drivers, and started again fresh. Sorry, that's all I got.

RickyTick
03-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Version 14 is the latest BIOS for the IP35 Pro, but I don't think matters for this.

I swear I don't think I did anything but plug and play.

You said yes/no to my router question. Does that mean you're using a router? What kind? Is it wireless?

shyster
03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
No it is an eithernet router, but even before I used the router I had it connected straight to the cable modem.

As I mentioned I think it is the fact that the device manager does not recognize any network device.

I have not flashed the bios since everything else seems to be working fine.

shyster
03-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Okay I feel dumb, but this is my first time building so I forgive myself.

I just checked the Abit forums that Ricky mentioned has awesome support and he was correct. Thanks for all your input guys, but it turns out that I did not enable lan controllers in bios.

RickyTick
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I was just about to say to enable the lan controller in bios. jk lol

Glad you got it working.

I troll the Abit forums everyday just to read everyone's problems and see how it gets resolved. I've learned a lot doing that. Those guys are good.