PDA

View Full Version : CPU fans

bean
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
With the new E8400 retail box, is the common practice now to go with the included fan? The new penryn's lower wattage not as much of a heat factor to get another cpu fan?

Thanks

shyster
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
It just depends what you want to do with your computer. If you plan to run it at stock and the thought of overclocking has never even crossed your mind, nor will it, then yes the stock cooler should be more than enough.

If you are planning to overclock at some point though it might be a good idea to look into get a different cooler, since they are not that expensive $20-30 and they usually drop the temp a good 5 degrees.

bean
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Just trying to get some current info so I can order one at the same time if needed. Lots of posts not long ago about arctic freezer 7; but, that was coupled with the Q6600, before the 8400. Now not too many posts about any cooler. At least, not what I've come across.

shyster
02-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Well as I mentioned if you do not plan to overclock ever, then the stock cooler should be fine.

I guess the only other consideration would be how full your case is. If you have all the bays filled with optical drive (cd, dvd, blue-ray) and hard drives, then because of the heat all the other compenents were generating I would get a different cooler other than stock, just because you might need that extra cooling with all the extra heat the other parts are producing and the lack of airflow because of the extra components.

I personally ordered an arctic freezer pro 7 incase I wanted to overclock at some point.