PDA

View Full Version : Using computer as digital tuner/recorder

Barrister73
02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
At some point, I will want to use my computer to receive and record TV. Can I have the computer hooked into the same cable outlet that the internet is hooked into with a Y splitter or do I need to use a different socket?

MRR

shyster
02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I do not use this, as I just found it after seeing your post, but it might be something you want to look into:

http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/?hop=cbreview

Basically it sounds like $50.00 and you get free cable plus movie channels for life.

And as for your first question, yes I believe a Y-splitter would work. I am not sure how your cable is set up but on mine they have to run the cable into a transceiver box which converts the signal and makes it usable for data transfer. If yours works the same then you should be able to unplug that cable and stick it in a tv and have it get reception. If those facts are all true then a Y-splitter should totally work. That being said however it may cause some problems, fuzzy reception to the tv when you are using heavy internet traffic, or slow internet traffic if the tv is on. I know that used to be the case in my house when we were splitting the cable between two tvs, before cable internet.

Just so you know though I have not done it, so it is purely speculation on my part founded on reasonable guestimations and past experiences.