PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV as Monitor

Brandon005
02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi all I was looking at buying a new tv something in the range of 32-50" LCD or Plasma and I was thinking it would be cool to use it with my computer as a monitor I know this is possible but what input does the TV need to support it. Also I was thinking of going the other way as well could I get a large monitor and use it as a TV I know I would need a TV tuner card but will I be able to hook up my comcast cable to it as well? Any info you guys could give me to point me in the right direction would be great.

iiiprimeiii
02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
they make dvi to hdmi cables which would connect from ur video card (dvi) to ur tv's hdmi input. i sorta wish i woulda bought an hdtv instead of my monitor. i would go witht the tv. :D

Amosmoses33
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
i use dvi to hdmi cable withthe hdmi going into the tv
I LOVE IT.

then just use the tv remote to view comcast when not using the computer, by choosing a different input

shyster
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Amos,

Do you use that TV to play games on, or just do video work, watch movies, and other low motion things? I am just wondering how games look on HDTV since I have heard you can see shadowing?<--- I cannot remember if that is the correct word, but where you see trails of motion because it cannot keep up with high speed frame changes.

Jamie Nixx
02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Only on low quality HDTV's will you see ghosting.

Amosmoses33
02-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I play racing games, and I have no problems....but if you use an 8800 series card there is a problem with overscan. I dont have any trails or ghosting. I havent tried any first person/shooter games thought, but I use a sony 55 inch and no problems. I cant run it in the resolution i would prefer, but it works for me.

Am I the only one that does online racing? :) www.rfactor.net

shyster
02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
That looks pretty cool actually, but I could not honstly see playing that on a keyboard and I am not likely to buy some kind of USB steering wheel controller.

So I did not read the page all that much, but is that game like an MMO where it is just a few servers and you can interact with hundreds, thounsands, millions or people on a single server, or is it set up like a counter-strike style system where there are hundreds or thousands of servers, but they only support 40 or so people on each server?

What types of racing do they have, rally, nascar, drag, street, mountain?

And what did you mean by overscan, that is not a term I am familar with?

Amosmoses33
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I have a usb wheel, you can get some for not alot of money.

on rfactor people make mods that go into it for free, and there are stockcar mods(nascar), indycar, champcar, formula1, aussie v8 supercars, off road trucks, rally (pavement and dirt and both combined), down to vw beetles and lawnmowers, if it has 4 wheels, someone has prob made a mod for it lol.
no drag racing yet. Do a youtube search for rfactor.

and the overscan is described here.... http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1684

basically, the edges of the windows desktop are outside the viewable area, like you couldnt see the bottom toolbar where the start menu is and the clock and all the way round the edges on all four sides.

volsfan0911
09-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I am using a VS 22" LCD tv as my PC monitor currently. You can get dirt cheap and very good DVI-HDMI cables from Monoprice. Might try it with the big Sony & see what happens as well. Not using a 8800 card, so hopefully no problems with overscanning.

knestle
05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm using a Samsung 32" A550 LCD and am very happy.
I do a little photography, and crop some of my photos to 1920x1080 for a desktop slide show(WallMaster).
If you've never seen it you can't imagine a Giant Swallowtail or Monarch butterfly blown up to 32" ! ! !

The Wise Monkey
05-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Good, but no need to bump such old threads. :)