PDA

View Full Version : Mingraphics first boot

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Ok just ran the first boot all seems well but the computer says the cpu fan is not on and it is we can see it. when we looked in the bios it had one line that said chassis fan was running and had a speed number. when you first turn it on it says cpu fan error press f1 to resume.

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: Asus P5KC P35 775 motherboard
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 wolfdale
Graphics Card: e g force 8800GT
Memory: 2GB Corsair DDR2

shyster
02-26-2008, 04:46 PM
My guess would be:

It sounds like you plugged your fan into the 3 pin chasis fan instead of the four pin CPU fan, both should be labeled both on the board and in the manual. You pluged the cpu fan into the chasis fan? Could you list what type of fan you are using? Is it the stock CPU fan, or is it something like a zalman or Artic freezer pro 7?

If that is not the correct answer is it possible for your to take a picture of the inside that you could post?

Lastly although it is not a problem I have heard about, I would blame the P5KC.

On a personal note I got another DOA so I am super pissed with Asus right now.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Its the stock fan, the user guide says on page 2-9 that if you have a dual core cpu connect the chassis fan cable to the cha_fan2 connector to ensure system stability...we did and now it does not know its running. The fan only came with one 4 prong plug and we put it in the connection the book said to use.

When I just turned the computer on it said the same error message and when I press f1 to resume it asks me to reboot and select proper boot device. I am stuck at this point.

I am having a very hard time in the bios set up, I am trying to follow the sata hard drive bios setting and my screen looks nothing like what is shown is the pictures, it dosen't even give me the same choices.

shyster
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
So just to understand this, I need claification because I am not looking at the board right now, you put the four prong HSF onto the chasis_fan2?

I thought the only four prong was the CPU fan? Either way if you have not tried it I would try switching the HSF's prong to the CPU_Fan four prong and see if it removes that message.

I do not remember the manual saying to put the fan into the chasis fan, but that does not mean it did not. You do mean the motherboard manual and not the intel manual correct?

Of course you could always wait for someone elses ideas, but I know all my fans spun when my HSF was on the CPU_Fan slot.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
yes the MB manual is what said to plug the cpu fan into that slot. The fan is working I can see it spinning.

Things I do know: It is reading the floppy drive, mouse, keyboard.

I don't think it sees the SATA Hard drive.

I used the SATA cable on the DVD drive also, the manual said I could use ether, should I change it to the IDE?

When I go into the BIOS it shows nothing in any of the 4 SATA ports.

Any one want to give me a phone number to call you and you could talk me through this? lol

The Wise Monkey
02-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Have you managed to install the OS yet? Try booting from the CD and going through the install process, if you can.

shyster
02-26-2008, 07:40 PM
This may be a silly question but did you follow all of Robs guide on how to configure bios to see sata drives?

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_second_boot.shtml

Basically in bios disable all ide options. That is just a very consolidated version of the guide, read through it to make sure you have done it all.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I tried to do that and my bios screen is not set up the same and I found it hard to do. I am going to drag my new computer into the office and sit here with it and the web page open and do it step by step if it takes all night!!

I did not try to put the OS on because the hard drive has not been seen by the computer yet.

Is the chassis fan and the cpu fan one and the same?

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Min, couple of thoughts.

1) The CPU fan should be plugged into the CPU fan connector just above the memory slots. (Page 2-11)

2) I know Rob recommends adjusting the BIOS, but having tried using his guide to configure my BIOS on the P5KC, I think you have a better chance for success if you don't change anything in the BIOS for the time being other than the boot order.

3) No need to switch to IDE. I have the same setup with the SATA DVD and hard disk. Double check the SATA connections on the motherboard AND the power connections to both the DVD and the hard drive. I sat there staring at my DVD for an hour until I realized that I had only connected the SATA cable and not the power cable as well.

IMO you should load the setup defaults to clear any changes you've made in the BIOS, reboot. If it doesn't see the drives again then shut it down, double check your power connections on the drives, then try to re-boot and get back to the BIOS to see if it is seeing them yet.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
thank God, I have no power to the Sata drives at all, dumb question, what do they look like?

ok I will load set up defaults next time I turn it on, i'm changing the fan plug now, then I will boot it up

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry Min, just to clarify. On page 2-9 it is confusing. A chassis fan is a case fan, and they plop that direction right in the middle of the cpu directions. On page 2-11, they state that the CPU fan should go in the cpu fan connector.

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Do you have a 520HX power supply?

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
yes with all the black wires

ok I moved the fan plug and I have the black ground wire closest to the mem slots, is that right?

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
You don't know what the SATA connectors look like Min?

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Lay them all out and pair them up. You have two cables that have two SATA connector heads that look like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SATA_power_cable.jpg

Probably have to use one power cable for DVD and one for hard drive because of the distance between.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Don't start with me Jamie, it has been a long day, it took me from noon to get this far...stop laughing!

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, ground is closest to mem slots

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Take it easy Min, i am not laughing i was just trying to work out if thats what you were trying to say.

I would never laugh at a damsel in distress ;)

Chunky my young padawan looks like he has this one covered unless you need my help as well?

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
ok I found them, I think. Do they go next to the red wires already in there?

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
ok I found them, I think. Do they go next to the red wires already in there?

Yes.

The cables going from the PSU to the HDD and Optical power it, the red cables connect them to the motherboard.

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
We're posting too fast. :p

Red wire from drive to motherboard, power wire from drive to power supply.

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Chunky your not as fast as me :p

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Uh, yeah, I know I'm slow. Hence... "chunky"! :D

Sad that I built a computer and still can't type. :rolleyes:

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Lol check the times, matter of seconds, can't be that bad :p

Min how you doing on your build?

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I have them all on I just have to get some wires out of the way, I will have to take a picture when I'm done so you can show people why women don't build computers! It's a mess in there

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Messy to you would probably be super tidy to us blokes lol ;)

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I kid you not. I built mine the first week of January and I just got around to re-wiring last night. And I only did it last night to make room for a second fan I put in. I looked like a rats nest for 2 months, but ran smooth as silk.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
alright i am hitting the power let you know what happens in a few
ok no more error message about the fan, now it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...so now what?

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXaaupVM0s

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
alright i am hitting the power let you know what happens in a few
ok no more error message about the fan, now it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...so now what?

LMAO Chunky :D

Min keep hitting delete and go into the BIOS, check everything is recognised and configure it to your liking or leave it as default.

Change the boot order and put the Optical drive to boot 1st and then put in your windows CD, press F10 to save and exit, computer will reboot and will then load windows.

Format your HDD even though its new.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
would that be the
atapi cd rom listed as the 2nd boot device
why would it call it a cd rom when it is a dvd, strange

I don't think it see my dvd as only the SATA 1 slot shows some thing on it

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Is Atapi the brand?

Anyways, set it to 1st and also set it to 2nd as well.

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
the dvd is an asus

Ok I took Chucks advice and put the system back on defaults and restarted so now it sees the dvd. Just restarted with windows in the drive and now it is loading windows files...I can't beleave it!!

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Jamie, is Atapi probably a default driver for the optical until she loads the correct one?

Jamie Nixx
02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
*EDIT* Forget ATAPI, brains losing it.

Try plugging the Asus into a different SATA slot and check connections.

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Min?

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes I am still here windows just restarted for the first time, I am not sure if it formated the HD or not it just went so fast

chunkylover53
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Sounds fine so far, keep going!

MinGraphics
02-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Windows and I are playing 20 questions, but I guess that is better than me doing all the talking. Well I now have a desk top. I know I have to install drivers but not sure where to start. should I just pop in some of the cd that came with everything or go in some order. The computer seems to see everything so that it good.

I can't thank you enough for getting me through this night! I feel like I just gave birth...again! lol

Thanks Guys
But I don't think I'm done with your help yet.

shyster
02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
I do not think it matters what order you load drivers on, but if you load the motherboard drivers on first, then you can probably connect to the internet with your new computer and download the new drivers to it.

Oh yeah and congrats, I am damn jealous.

Sorry I could not help further but had a night class, good thing Chunky and Jamie took over.