PDA

View Full Version : CPU and cooler ... tight fit?

ecarmody
02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi,

Putting on my intel quad Q6600 cpu onto my Gigabyte P35 DS3L mobo. I notice that after laying the chip into place and moving the load plate (cover) back over the cpu, that it does not fall down flush on its own; the open end is left sitting up about a quarter inch after resting on the CPU. I checked/rechecked the cpu to make sure it appeared to be sitting in socket correctly and the notches were aligned. It was an uneasy feeling pressing the cover down and swinging the leaver arm back in place. :( It was more force that I felt was necessary, but it looked the only way to go.

Then, putting the Zalman CNPS9500 cooler on top (after smearing Artic Silver 5) the "clip", the part that is used to hold the fan unit down onto the "clip support" ... the screw ends of the clip where uncomfortably higher that then clip support. If I started a screw on one side, just enough for it to grab, then other end of the clip was raised such that the screw would not even tough the clip support. I had to press down a fair bit to "bend" the clip down enough for the screw to grab. I hope that sounds like a normal install? :confused:

Things sound ok so far?

Eric

chunkylover53
02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I dunno about the CPU. Sounds like you have that sorted out.

On your second point, yeah. The clip on that Zalman does make it hard on you, doesn't it? I have the 9700, but I imagine it's similar. It almost feels like your going to break something becasue you have to push it down so hard. You have to bend the clip down just to get that second screw to catch on the threads, and then every time you turn the screwdriver you're second guessing yourself!

ecarmody
02-24-2008, 09:46 PM
ha ha ... you got that right!

Both closing the CPU lever and screwing down the Zalman were move extertion than I was expect. Of course, this being my first build, I had nothing to compare to.

But hey ... it all appears to have worked out! Got my quad running right now, completed initial boots/bios sets. Then installed the disks and booted a boot cdrom with harddrive test utility. Once that's done, time to move onto installing OS. Everything going well at this point.

Cheers,
Eric