PDA

View Full Version : Here we go!

ecarmody
02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
A couple of you may remember my recent questions on mb, cpu and case. In particular I wanted to trim a few pennies off the $150 board I had in mind; also wanted a comparision of the Q6600 quad as well whether the Antec Sonata III 500 would capable of housing it all.

Well, sorry if I didn't go with all the recomendations, :o I did a fair bit a research and review gathering and ended up with this configuration. I've already ordered and taken delivery of the following ...

cpu - Q6600: may not be the fastest compared to E8400, but I felt it was future looking with its quad cores where more future games/software being developed multi-core oriented.

MB - Gigabyte P35 DS3L - this is a great priced ($89) mobo with all solid state caps, lots of features and tons on positive feedback/reviews.

Zalman CNPS9500 AT cooler.

G.Skill memory (2Gbs). Who thought memory could look so cool !? :D

Antec Sonata III 500 - I am impressed with the look, fit and finish of this case.

Also got the Seagate Barracude 250gb sata HDD, floppy, and Samsung S202J optical.

Its my first time buying all shining new parts as individual components. The packages look cool! Excited and anxious at the same time.

Actually now I have started, following combined steps using Gigabyte docs as well as step by step assembly on MySuperPc.com.

I'll post in seperate thread my first point of concern.

Cheers,
Eric

shyster
02-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Congrats,

It all looks pretty good, except the G.Skill memory which upon looking at looks like normal sticks, do you have a link to the cool looking one? Did you get a video card? If you did you did no list it so was just wondering.

ecarmody
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, I already have a 19" wide lcd and the 512mb PCI Express vid card. They'll do nicely.

As for the G.Skill, this link shows it, however I got the 2Gb set, not the 4Gb.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=20-231-136-02.jpg&Image=20-231-136-02.jpg%2c20-231-136-03.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Depa=1&Description=G.SKILL+4GB(4+x+1GB)+240-Pin+DDR2+SDRAM+DDR2+800+(PC2+6400)+Quad+Channel+Ki t+Desktop+Memory

I guess without much experience, or should I say having just seen plain green board ones with black chips, these red heat shielded ones in their nice foil box were pretty slick looking.

shyster
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Well there box does look bad ass, and I love the Japanese on it :D

That said they are definately better looking than the old age green boards with black chips that you described. Did you say somewhere they have lcd's on them or was that another thread?

On a personal note I like the clean and shiny look of my memory the corsair xms2, but I like dark colors over flashy colors. As long as you are happy with your choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=20-145-184-02.jpg&Image=20-145-184-02.jpg%2c20-145-184-01.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Depa=0&Description=CORSAIR+4GB(2+x+2GB)+240-Pin+DDR2+SDRAM+DDR2+800+(PC2+6400)+Dual+Channel+Ki t+Desktop+Memory

By the way keep us updated on how the assembly goes and if you have any questions along the way.

RickyTick
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Well there box does look bad ass, and I love the Japanese on it :D

Since G.Skill is made in Taiwan, that would be Chinese on there. :D

shyster
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Say what you want, but those are Japanese Katakana, Chinese does not use those symbols. :D

This is one point I will not lose on Ricky.

That said I am not saying they are not made in Taiwan, I am just saying that is Japanese lettering NOT Chinese.

RickyTick
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
haha

How would I know? You could tell me it was Martian and I wouldn't know the difference. :confused: English and Spanish is all I can understand, and that's limited.

Since G.Skill is Taiwanese, I just assumed it would be Chinese lettering.

That was still funny though. :D :D :p

shyster
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
I only know because I can read Japanese somewhat, it says:

Memorii woorudo no toppu

Which translates as you might guess into:

Memory world top

or into better english

Memory world's top

Just a short lesson in case you or anybody else reading this cares, katakana is the alphabet used for words and sounds taken from other cultures. for example karuforunia = california. Unfortunately I do not have Japanese characters enabled on this computer show I cannot actually show you what it would look like in katakana.