PDA

View Full Version : HTML Editor/Web Page Designer

Lerxt
02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Folks, just wondering if there were any opinions on web page design software/html editors?

I am looking for something that will allow me to update and maintain a website. I haven't used anything outside of the occasional page I've created in FrontPage so I am out of the loop when it comes to highly rated web design software packages.

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Macromedia Dreamweaver is pretty good, but I prefer just using notepad. :)

shyster
02-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree on both points.

For the most part macromedia's dreamweaver is the standard for the industry, however like Monkey said I also prefer to code by hand in notepad.

By the way Monkey which web languages do you know? I am just curious as to how much hand coding you do? Is it just html, or does it include others like css, php, javascript, etc.?

The Wise Monkey
02-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I know a bit of all of those - used to do html by hand, but haven't done any web design for ages.

Lerxt
02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd like to have something that can organize a number of HTML pages, create picture galleries, etc.

I found Coffee Cup to be somewhat useful, but I'd like to try DreamWeaver too.

shyster
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I am pretty sure Macromedia offers free versions of all their software, so you should be able to download that and get a free trial of the full version. This of course is from information years ago, I would think they still do it, but maybe not.

The Wise Monkey
02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Forgot that Adobe bought Macromedia - its now Adobe Dreamweaver CS3:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

You can download a free trial, so give it a go. Its very expensive though - $399 to buy, so you may want to look at some other things first.