PDA

View Full Version : CPU Upgrade

joet
02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
3 years ago I built my PC using Rob Williams suggestions.
I have the NVIDIA nForce 3 250Gb Chipset K8N NEO Platinum Motherboard w/ an ATHLON 64 2800 1.8 GHZ L2-512KB SOCKET 754 Processor.

I would like to upgrade my Proccessor to a Dual Core.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is possible and if so any suggestions on which chip to buy?

What I would ultimately like to do is configure this PC for Home Theater use.
I would like to eventually install a TV tuner card and Blu-Ray Drive.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

jgodby46
03-08-2008, 04:58 PM
When you say Dual Core, I assume you mean an Intel chip. If so, you are out of luck if you currently have an AMD (Athlon) chip. The Intel chip won't fit; you need a motherboard with a socket 775 for an Intel Dual Core, Pentium 4, etc. To do this you would have to change out the motherboard.

Jamie Nixx
03-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Why would he assume Intel? AMD make dual core CPU's as well and his motherboard only supports AMD.

Joe, bad news is AMD never made a Dual Core CPU for socket 754, so your either going to have to upgrade to a newer motherboard and get another CPU or just buy a faster single core CPU.

You can get some very nice single core CPU's for socket 754, i would go for an Athlon 3200 or 3400, you can pick them up OEM on Ebay for around $35 -$40.

If you spend a bit more and your lucky you can pick up a Clawhammer for about $70, they are awesome.

Other than this i can suggest no more than a new build or at least a major upgrade.

jgodby46
03-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Why would he assume Intel? AMD make dual core CPU's as well and his motherboard only supports AMD.

Joe, bad news is AMD never made a Dual Core CPU for socket 754, so your either going to have to upgrade to a newer motherboard and get another CPU or just buy a faster single core CPU.

You can get some very nice single core CPU's for socket 754, i would go for an Athlon 3200 or 3400, you can pick them up OEM on Ebay for around $35 -$40.

If you spend a bit more and your lucky you can pick up a Clawhammer for about $70, they are awesome.

Other than this i can suggest no more than a new build or at least a major upgrade.
Sorry about that. Obviously I know very little about AMD processors.

Jamie Nixx
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Its cool dude :)

zimr
05-02-2008, 02:59 AM
i have the same question just a little diffrent. i was wondering if their is or what would be the best option to upgrade my AMD athlon (tm) XP 1800+. would like to go duel core but single would be fine as long as it has 3Ghz running speed. i would do a full upgrade but realy see no point when iam going to be given a comp that will do what i need it to in a few month.willing to spend 100$ to git past those few months.

The Wise Monkey
05-02-2008, 06:14 AM
You're out of luck, I'm afraid. The 1800+ was built for Socket 754, which is considered pretty much obsolete nowadays. In fact, the 1800+ is the best processor you can get for that socket type. If you want to upgrade to a dual core, you would need a new motherboard, which is kind of pointless considering you are getting a new computer soon anyway.

zimr
05-02-2008, 06:42 AM
aww i was afrade of that. thank you wise. guess ill have to spend the mony to git a new motherborde+video carde+2gigs of ram+processer guess i could git away spending 500