PDA

View Full Version : comcast

vaneddy
02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi all
Does Comcast hi speed allow one to place, say, Fire Fox as the home page or do we have to use a comcast formated page to nav from?
thanks

BobaFettK
02-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Any browser on any service should allow you to choose the homepage. I use Firefox with my Comcast account, and right now my home page is this site! :cool:

shyster
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah all browser, the good ones anyways, are pretty customizable. Firefox being on of the better browsers.

If you have just recently had comcast set up, the technicians usually have your webpages default to their page when they install it. If you want it on something else, say google, or this site, just go into internet options and it should allow you to set your homepage. There is also probably a quick-key for it, probably Ctrl + H but I am at work so cannot remember for sure.

vaneddy
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for that info
By the way are you guys happy with Comcast? What if I want to cancel, say six months into, is there a contract period?
Ed

MinGraphics
02-24-2008, 11:40 AM
We have had comcast for years and the service is good, no complaints here. I have never had a contract.

shyster
02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Usually if you sign up during one of their specials like 19.95 for 6 months, you need to sign a one year contract. As for canceling I do not know anything about it.

I will say however that their tech guys, the ones who come out and install everything are pretty hit and miss in my area. What I mean by that is one guy can come out and have it running in half an hour to an hour and you are good to go, and the next guy who comes out might take four hours and then tell you he cannot finish it today and will need to comeback sometime next week when there is an open appointment.

It is like the commericals say though, that they start with a low price and then jack it up steadily, but so far they have not capped downloading/uploading so that is something to be thankful for.

vaneddy
02-26-2008, 01:07 PM
The speed issue seems to be a volitile issue. The $19.99 package is only for 4 meg dl while the $29.00 deal offer gives you the 6 or 8 meg speed. They don't offer this info, it is in the fine print. Buyer beware as with everything.

thanks for your feedback on Comcast. I feel a little better. I went to a few review sites and could find little good to say about them.

Do any of you know if I can use outlook express for mail with Comcast?

shyster
02-26-2008, 02:10 PM
I have not done it personally, but I am pretty sure you can set up outlook to work with any e-mail service. That being said though you can always give their "customer support" a call and they should be able to tell if it is possible and how to do it, if it is.