PDA

View Full Version : cpu/mem

vaneddy
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
too new at this to know
Do any of you old hands know if I need to physically adjust voltage or speeds in bios for memory or cpu?
thanks

chunkylover53
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
In most cases, my opinion is that the default settings in the BIOS should work fine and you should not need to make any adjustments other than boot order until you are up and running. Once you have the OS loaded, all drivers & BIOS updated and all of your stress tests done, you'll have plenty of time to experiment in the BIOS.

As always it depends on the specific board, but for the most part the word "Auto" is your friend especially with voltage. :)

shyster
02-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I will have to agree with Chunky and just say that the default voltage is a good thing and will very likely not need to be adjusted.

If you are overclocking however, then you might have to play with the voltage, but that is another topic altogether.

vaneddy
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Shyster
Inquiring mind
Why would i likely need to be adjusted and how would this be done?
sorry for the dumb questions
Ed

vaneddy
02-20-2008, 01:51 PM
It looks like Rob notes several changes to settings depending on ide or sata use with regard to drives however?

shyster
02-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry that was a typo on my part it should have read "...not need to be adjusted" after typing this I will edit my previous post.

Yeah depending on what type of drives you have you may need to turn ide connectors off.

So if you have sata drives for both optical and hard drives, you should follow Robs instructions about turning off the ide connections.

Messing with the voltage you should not need to do, although you can always check your manual that came with your processor it should mention something about that hopefully.

RickyTick
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Most will default to 1.8 volts. Check the ram manufactures website to see if it requires a bump up. I have mine set at 2.0 volts.

RickyTick
02-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Futhermore, if you're using 4 sticks of ram you may need to up the volts on the MCH a notch or two. This depends on which motherboard and ram you're using.

vaneddy
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank for the help
Very encouraging to know there is such great heip out there.
Lowers the stress level alot.
Ed