PDA

View Full Version : Power cut during Op. System Install

bluegreen
02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
The power was turned off during the installation of my XP pro operating system. Now when I boot it says there is an error in the installation of the operating system and then will not let me do anything. (I skipped the hard drive test step that was prior to the operating system installation, not sure if this matters). I have a western digital hard drive and have downloaded the data lifeguard files and burned them onto a cd to try and run the write zero to disk program (I don’t have a floppy drive). When I set the bios to boot to the cd-rom first, and insert the lifeguard cd a few lines of text appear briefly and then the screen goes blank for about a minute and then I get an error message saying that it cant find the license agreement. When I open the cd on another comp. the license text file is right where it should be…Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? (I am using an ASUS M2N Motherboard).

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 11:05 AM
What happens if you boot from the XP CD?

bluegreen
02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Its says there was an error in installing the operating system and wont let me do anything. It will not run the xp cd...

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 03:17 PM
That's weird - even if there is a problem with the installation, you should be able to boot from the CD before it tries to look for the OS.

The only other thing I can suggest is to get a floppy drive for a few dollars and zero the HD that way.

shyster
02-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I dunno why I did not think of this before, but was your windows cd OEM, or retail?

Just wondering because if it is retail you could try calling microsoft tech support and see if they could tell you anything about this issue.

Well unlikely this will help, but since you have not really gone into detail other than saying it does not work, try this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

it is for fixing your computer if you already had windows installed, but it might be the solution to your problem anyways.