PDA

View Full Version : 10K RPM vs. 7200RPM?

Lerxt
02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Here's a question that I'm comming across in finalizing my PC's config:

Should I go with a 7200 RPM, 500GB, SATA-300 HDD with 16MB cache, or a 10K RPM, 150 GB, SATA-150 HDD, with 16MB Cache?

While it's nice to have a lot more storage, the seek times are far better on the 150 GB model. Also, is there much benefit to SATA-300 vs. -150?

Just want to get a feel from everyone.

My take is that maybe the 10K RPM drive is better for OS performance, but for general storage and performance, the 500GB drive is the way to go.

Thanks in advance

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
You've answered your own question there - the 10k is better for the OS, while the other is best for storage.

I have one 74GB WD Raptor (10K) for my OS and applications, and one 250GB WD Caviar (7.2k) for storage.

If you can afford to get both, then do so, but 150GB is a bit overkill for just the OS and applications. I have Vista and a load of programs installed on my computer, and still have 32GB free.

Lerxt
02-19-2008, 11:15 AM
So do you think I'm giving up anything by going with SATA-150 vs. SATA-300?

My concern on the 74GB size is that I have a 74GB drive and it's maxed out - mind you, I have tons of files on it (Besides apps) so maybe with extra storage I should be able to clear things up a lot.

I think the price point of the 74GB model is the appox. cost of an OEM 500 gb drive too! Maybe I should go with the two drive idea...

shyster
02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Correct me if I am wrong WM, but running a raid 1, which I belive is the parallel not the mirror one. Using a raid combines the drives right? So two 300gb 7500 RPM hard drives, under a parallel raid set up would make it a 600gb 15000 RPM correct?

I could be totally wrong I just thought that was the reason people ran a dual raid setup because even two 300 gb drives are usually the same price or cheaper than a single 150gb 10,000 RPM drive.

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 03:23 PM
@lerxt: The 150/300 represents the data rate in MBps that you can transfer to and from the HD. A 10k drive with 150 transfer rate will be faster at reading, but not as fast at writing. Thats why it is best used for the OS, as you don't have to write as often as with storage drives.

@shyster: Unfortunately it doesn't work like that shyster. I think you mean RAID 0, which is where two HDs are "striped" i.e. the data is written accross both HDs at the same time (RAID 1 is mirroring). This doesn't give double the speed, but does give about a 25% increase. The problem here is that you then have twice the probability of something going wrong, and thus about half the data security - if one HD goes, you lose everything.

shyster
02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow I thought it was a much bigger bonus than only 25%. Yes it was Raid 0 that I meant I get them confused since zero seems like it should be the mirror to me and 1 should be the "striped."

And yes I did know about the fact that if one dies then all the data becomes unusable. But you could always run a 0 + 1 raid setup right? Of course that takes four drives, more power, increases heat, and just more technical knowledge so I guess not... :p

I was just thinking that I personally hate having multiple drives so rather than have two smaller drives I would rather have on bigger one.

Lerxt
02-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Just wondering if you only need three drives for that (two striped and the other as a mirror for the other one - assuming it's large enough)?

Anyway, it looks like the price difference is a lot bigger than I'd expect. A new WD Raptor with 150 gb is $200 vs. $100 for a 500 gb WD Caviar SE 16.

shyster
02-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah that was why I was trying to suggest raid, but if the bonus is only about 25% it is not nearly as good as I had hoped.

And I believe for the mirroring you need the same drive as what you are mirroring. For example if you put a hand in front of a mirror you do not see a foot. So if you are running a striped raid 0 and want to run a mirror you would need a second striped raid 0 running and just have it set as a mirror. That is my understanding of it from Robs site anyways.

The Wise Monkey
02-22-2008, 06:54 AM
You're right there shyster - loving the analogy by the way. :)

If you have four drives set up like that, it is known as a RAID 0+1 array.