PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Problems

bootsy72
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
In the process of installing windows xp, I received this error:

Fatal Error
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem with the disc; try cleaning the disc or using another disc.

Press ok to view the setup log file.

The system Setup Log says:
Error: sxs.dll: syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\10\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man" on line 4.

Error: Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error message: data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Fatal error: one of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Ok folks; I have no idea what this means. Can someone please help me out? Thanks

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 06:03 AM
I think it means that you're disc is damaged/dirty/scratched. Give it a thorough clean, and try again. Is it a new disc?

bootsy72
02-19-2008, 07:13 AM
It is a new retail disc. I read online that some people had to change their cd rom drive out for an older one in order to make the install of xp work.. I have a lightscribe similar to the one Rob recommends. Other people mentioned that they burned a copy of the windows xp cd and then the install worked fine--I just don't know how to burn a windows xp cd. I know how to burn music.. but I have not successfully burned a program cd. If you might know how I could burn the cd, that would be helpful. Thanks

I am going to try switching out the rom drive with an older one. (Its really a cd/dvd +- drive).

shyster
02-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Depending on your equipment there are two ways you could burn a copy of a cd. If you have good software, it should support making backup copies of cds, so if you stick your new drive into your old computer and stick a blank cd in it. You should then be able to stick in the windows cd and make a straight copy of it between the two drives.

Failing that the other more complicated method is making an image file of the windows cd. That means basically burning the cd and all of its formating into a special file that you can then burn back onto a cd.

I just looked at it briefly but this site seems to explain how to make a image file that you can then burn to a cd:

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

from there click the link "How to slipstream Windows XP SP2 ?"

But doing all that is a pain, easier ways might be to pull your old drive out and stick it in your new computer to see if it will load the cd, and even easier just try cleaning the cd.

Hope that was useful at least somewhat.

bootsy72
02-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys;
I used my old ROM drive in my new computer to try installing Windows XP. My CPU is supposed to work on a 9 multiplier (Wolfdale E8400), but when I tried to install XP, even on the old ROM, I still ran into problems. I changed the multiplier to six, however, (on bios 0803, the beta version for the asus p5n-e that is supposed to support the new chips) and the install FINALLY worked. I was just about give up and send the XP cd back.. which would have been a pain because I would have had to contact Microsoft; Newegg wouldn't take it back. Now I can get windows to run from the hard disk... it actually works!

The only hitch is that so far I cannot make windows open with my bios cpu multiplier set to 9 (the standard for the wolfdale); thus far I have had to leave it at 6. I havn't tried updating the drivers or anything yet.. I'm about to start that process. Will let you know how it turns out.

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Glad you got it sorted - that really is strange.

bootsy72
02-20-2008, 08:13 AM
I think I am going to replace my e8400 with the e6750... my computer is rebooting and shutting down... not stable. I was doing the pcmark test and i got to test 9 of 11 before my computer just shut off... I know some people have made their p5n-e stable with an e8400.. but I just can't do it. The computer seems to work perfect, no device errors.. but it just freezes.. so lame. I'm so heart broken. The new bios 0803 just isn't making the difference.. another one is supposed to be coming out, but do you guys think it will really make things work? Is it hurting my computer to keep having to restart it? (probably 5 times a day thus far.. if not more)

chunkylover53
02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Every once in a while someone needs to come along and ask a stupid question... and that's what I'm here for! :D I assume you've tried already, but just in case...

Since getting the OS successfully loaded, have you tried reseting the BIOS to 100% default settings and not changing ANYTHING but the boot order?

If not, I think you should try it at stock settings before you give up on the chip. The moment you change your AI tuning to anything other than Auto, there are hundreds of possibilities for something to go funky on you.

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Hey Chunkylover; I actually hadn't tried that! lol but it still didn't fix it... =(

Today I get an e6750 in the mail.. I think I'm going to swap it out and put it in and see if I can get the system stable... unless ASUS puts out the new BIOS supporting the 45nm chips. The 0803 isn't working. =(

If the e6750 is stable, then I will probably keep it and ship back the e8400.. does that sound wise? What would you guys do in my position? Asus is supposed to be putting out a new BIOS any day...

The Wise Monkey
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
What motherboard do you have?

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I have a p5n-e MB...

is it true that they sometimes have trouble with Crucial Ballistix RAM?

Please don't ignore my prior questions and answer just that one.. lol =)

shyster
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Yo, Bootsy

Well if you read the forums on the Asus website numerous people whos systems are not working are using crucial ram. The important thing to note is that the crucial ram is not list on their approved memory list at least for some of their boards, I do not know if it is true for all of their boards. And if you called tech support and told them you had that ram they would likely tell you to buy new ram, and more than likely the new ram would not fix your problem.

It seems to me Asus is doing a horrible job of doing things correctly, or put another way they are doing a kickass job at sucking.

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Why can't I return it?

And Rob recommends the board... it can't be that bad?

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh, and my MB is P5N-E.. not pk or whatever

shyster
02-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah I just edited it when I saw your post.

Well at least newegg will not let me return my board, but that one is a p5kc not the p5n-e

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
So what do you recommend Shyster? Return the MB?

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I went to Crucial.com.. used their RAM finder.. it recommended the crucial ballistix.. why did they lie?! lol

shyster
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe they did not like I said not all of their boards are the same.

I just know that curcial is not on the approved list for the p5kc since I have been reading their forums.

I would wait for a second opinion probably, since you do not have the p5kc, which seems to be the board with the largest number of issues. I just know I am getting fed up with Asus personally, after trying to talk to their tech support which is a joke.

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey guys.. I've been reading and apparently running 2 gigs of ballistix ram at 2.2 volts (what is specified) is too high.. and I should also try to relax my latency settings.. I will try when I get home and let you guys know how it turns out. Adios

bootsy72
02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Okay.. I could not get my system to run stable and I cannot figure out how to downdate the BIOS. =( This is turning out to be way more of a pain than I expected...

I deleted windows xp because I had a feeling that FreeRAM XP might have been what was freezing the computer.. it was on auto start with the PC, and I could not get past its starting up. Also, I wanted to reinstall XP thinking that perhaps somehow the install was screwed up... so..

I am going to attempt to burn my windows XP disc because I have heard that that can fix the cyclic redundancy check error. I have switched out my e8400 for an e6750 but it had no better luck than the e8400; thus I suspected Windows XP. My memory passed MemTest fine... that leaves the MB or Xp.. I wanted to elimiinate XP as an option. It may be this new darn BIOS that is installed, the 0803 (a beta version) but I cannot figure out how to downdate my bios! I think that might make the difference...

Anyone know how to downdate an ASUS BIOS? WHenever I try, it tells me that "this downdate is not suitable for this ROM" or something like that. I am using EZFlash with a jump drive...

The Wise Monkey
02-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Have you got the latest BIOS? Asus have released version 0901 - have you tried that?

bootsy72
02-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I did not know that they released the latest BIOS... talk about perfect timing. I was checking all day yesterday to see if it was released.

Right now I cannot get to the download page on the asus website for some reason.. maybe they're updating something? I'll check again

I'm running on my super pc right now. lol

Last night I tried to re-install windows xp, but it wouldn't work.. I kept getting the cyclic redundancy check error.. so today I tried to burn a bootable copy of the cd, and that didn't work.. so I tried the real disc one last time.. and suddenly it worked. Since my re-installation of XP I have had no problems booting. No freezes or anything. The only downfall is that i'm using the e6750 instead of my e8400.. I'm afraid to switch them back because I do not want to do ANYTHING that might cause instability.

Hopefully the new BIOS will do the trick, and I can switch out my CPU.. and send the e6750 back. What do you guys think? Should I update the BIOS and try the e8400? I'm just afraid to run into issues again.. I like this thing working. =)

bootsy72
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey guys

Ok, I updated the BIOS to 0901. Then, I took out my e6750 and installed my wolfdale e8400. I left the volts on auto, and when I booted to windows and used Asus probe my computer started making a siren noise--my CPU was going beyond 65 degrees c.

I went back to the BIOS, and manually set the volts to 1.05. Now my CPU is running stable at 34 degrees c. I am about to run some 3dmark tests and make sure that it can handle it. Guys... I think it might actually be working. Cross your fingers.

The Wise Monkey
02-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Lol, wonder what voltage it gave to the CPU... :/

We've all got our fingers crossed for you. :)

bootsy72
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,
My computer just passed the 3dmark test!
My total score was 4873.
Is that good considering...

I am only using an nvidia 7300 le

Total system specs:
Antec Sonata III 500
Asus P5N-E SLI
E8400 Wolfdale 3 ghz 1.05 volts
2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix pc6400 5-5-5-15 (supposed to be 4-4-4-12 but wanted stability--will try 4-4-4-12 later)
320 gb WDC
liteon 20x

with a crappy monitor

I plan to upgrade the graphics card and monitor after I finish paying for all the above listed parts! =)

What do you guys think? Am I officially a graduate?

bootsy72
02-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I forgot to mention... at idle the cpu runs about 33-35 degrees c
During the test, towards the end, it reached up to 50 degrees c for a short bit. Is that ok?

shyster
02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Uhhh...

Nevermind if you saw any of that, it was a continuation from what I was typing earlier.

chunkylover53
02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
If it's running, your a grad. But I'd like to see you run a stress test like orthos or prime95, and maybe memtest86. Just my opinion. :)

And yes, that's a good score with that card. 3dmark gives and takes MAJOR points for your graphics card, which is why my score always stinks. :D

bootsy72
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
My RAM passed Memtest... could you attach the link to whichever of those stress tests you recommend? For some reason I can't find them even when I follow the links from Rob's sight. Thanks