PDA

View Full Version : Floppy/Card Reader Combo Update

chunkylover53
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Thought I'd give an update on the Mitsumi FA404M 7 in 1 Combo Card reader that I picked up a few weeks ago. The more posts I read, the more I notice how many of us don't heed Rob's advice and get a floppy drive, and I admit that it would have come in handy during my build. I thought this would be a great option for new builders because the added functionality of a card reader would make it seem less... um, stodgy.

The good? Fits in one floppy bay, floppy worked great right away, card reader worked great once I got it working.

The bad? Three cables needed (usb for reader included, power and floppy ribbon cable not included but had them from PSU & MOBO), and it added clutter that I didn't need. Getting card reader to work was a PAIN. I won't go into the 4 days of Googling for possible solves, but suffice it to say it was brutal getting it up and running. Also, though it didn't affect me, I've read there are issues when you connect the floppy and the internal usb cable prior to loading the OS. If you do, it sometimes recognizes the card reader as the C drive, and the hard drive as F drive. Yikes.

Bottom Line: I love having the card reader built in, and I recommend if you are adding after the fact, but probably NOT a good choice for the new builder that has enough on their plate.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16821104104

iiiprimeiii
02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
ugh!!! ribbon cables suck!!!!!:mad: i really wish i woulda known before my build that sata would have given me a much cleaner looking case. i got a sata Hard Drive but 2 ide optical drives. bad decision.