PDA

View Full Version : Buying Orange Box on ebay?

BobaFettK
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Is there any reason this would be a bad idea (provided that the seller is honest and the game is in decent condition)? I know that Valve uses the Steam service to sell and verify games online. But can a person install a previously used copy of the game on a different PC and have it work without any special account verification? I'd love to get the game for $25 instead of $50, but only if it's actually going to work. Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
You should be fine - as long as you have your own Steam account already.

BobaFettK
02-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't yet. But I wouldn't have to pay anything to open one or play the games in my used copy of Orange Box, right?

iiiprimeiii
02-18-2008, 09:47 PM
just make sure u get the registration key with it u will have to enter it in when u download it.... at least i did on mine when i installed it. also dont play team fortress 2 u WILL get addicted, i cant stop playing it!!!!:eek: :eek: its a pretty sweet game!!! :D

shyster
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I do not know how the whole stream thing works so I can only speak in terms of what I know has happened in the past.

If it is a used game, he could still have it loaded onto his computer, and still have the account number registered to him. If that is the case you might not be able to use the same account number if he is still playing it and currently online. I remember that happened to me with counter-strike in the past, I got it from a friend, but he still played online from time to time, so if he was on I could not log on. This was however long before stream so I do not know how their system works.

If however you confirm from him that he is not going to play it anymore and he has a good seller rating then as long as you have the account information, yeah there should be no problem.

iiiprimeiii
02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I do not know how the whole stream thing works so I can only speak in terms of what I know has happened in the past.

If it is a used game, he could still have it loaded onto his computer, and still have the account number registered to him. If that is the case you might not be able to use the same account number if he is still playing it and currently online. I remember that happened to me with counter-strike in the past, I got it from a friend, but he still played online from time to time, so if he was on I could not log on. This was however long before stream so I do not know how their system works.

If however you confirm from him that he is not going to play it anymore and he has a good seller rating then as long as you have the account information, yeah there should be no problem.

that totally makes sense i wasnt thinking before and after you download the orange box it isnt like a normal game where u insert the disc to play. u open up steam and select the game u want to play and it loads it no discs involved. a good thing if u bought it new but that can be very iffy if buying it used. i could sell someone mine right now and still be playing it cuz it is already loaded on comp. how much they selling it for buyu the way??? i saw it at wal-mart for $49.