PDA

View Full Version : CPU running hot

medchemistMA
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I have just finished putting together my new 64 bit box with the following components.

E8400, GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775, OCZ Reaper 2GB DDR2 1150MHZ. The PSU is a Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W and the case is an tagan CS-Monolize II, which has one 250mm side fan (inflow, not exhaust). I am using the intel CPU cooler that came with the CPU with artic silver ceramique thermal compound.

I have not yet installed an OS, but have got it to boot the the BIOS settings. According to the BIOS, the CPU is running at 43 degrees for idle, which seems quite high. I am concerned that I have done something wrong when putting this thing together. I followed the instructions for applying the thermal compound on the arctic silver web page,
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/cmq/ins_cmq_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

but it was difficult to get the CPU fan seated correctly afterwards. It did not seem to want to lock in place, at least for all four of the connecting pins at the same time. Is it possible that I got too much thermal compound or that I don't have the heat sink properly positioned.

A little advice would be greatly appreciated.

medchemistMA

RickyTick
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
The heatsink that came with the processor should have had thermal paste on it already. Did you add the Arctic Silver on top of that?

medchemistMA
02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
RickyTick,

Thanks for ringing in. No, according to the AS instructions I removed the pre-applied thermal compound with isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter. I applied a small amount of AS ceramique to the heat sink of the CPU cooler, rubbed it in with a plastic bag covering my finger, and wiped it off with a coffee filter. Then I cleaned the CPU with isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter and applied a line of AS ceramique according to the instructions.

I have just removed the CPU fan, cleaned the heatsink with a coffee filter, and ran over the CPU with the edge of a credit card to reduce the amount of thermal compound. When I re-installed the CPU cooler, it was much easier to get the pins to lock than before. The video instructions at Youtube were a big help with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzGwRpURzY

Now the CPU is running at 36 degrees for idle, which is better, but still seems a bit high. The ceramique is very thick and heavy and it may be difficult to get the thickness correct. This is my first build, so I have nothing to go on.

medchemistMA

RickyTick
02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Well it sounds like you did everything perfect. What are you using to check the temperatures? Try something different and see what you get.

medchemistMA
02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
The only thing I have to check the temp is the "PC Health" screen of the BIOS setup, since I have not installed the OS yet. I was hesitant to install the OS with it running 43 degrees at idle, I guess that 36 is not much better, but I think that gives me the possibility of installing without the temp going much above 50-55. Once I have the OS in, there will probably be other tools available to take the temp of this thing.

At what temp should I be worried when I am actually using the CPU?

medchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Your CPU will be fine up to about 75C, but this is an absolute maximum. Most CPUs run at about 55-60C under load.

medchemistMA
02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Do you think that my CPU will remain under ~70 at load if it is at 36 for idle? This may be a very un-informed question.

I still think that my idle temperature is too high. My case does not have an exhaust fan, it has a 250mm side intake. Will adding a 120 exhaust to the back help to lower the temp, or do I need a different CPU cooler?

Thanks for the input,

medchemistMA

JasonG
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
My E6750 idled at about 42-43C with the stock cooler (fan not running at 100%). It got to about 62C fully loaded. You'll be fine I think. I would install the OS, download the latest version of CoreTemp and check your idle and loaded states.

iiiprimeiii
02-18-2008, 09:52 PM
mine idles at about 40 and under load when playing crysis it hasnt gone over 55.

medchemistMA
02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
My idle temp has gone down to 31-33 degrees. It says on the AS web page that the ceramique thermal compound has to go through several thermal cycles of heating and being allowed to cool in order to reach the molecular configuration for optimal heat conduction. They advise at least 24 hours of turning you computer off when you are not using it before leaving it on all day.

Unfortunately I am running Ubuntu Linux and cannot use CoreTemp, or I think any of the utilities that came with the motherboard drivers CD. Do you know of a monitoring program that I can use with Linux? I was hoping to use speedfan, but that is windows only as well.

medchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Try this:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Monitoring/Hardware-Monitor-3711.shtml

Either that, or download the lm_sensors package - it shows lots of info about your system e.g. temps, fan speeds etc.

medchemistMA
02-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks,

I found a utility called "Computer Temperature Monitor" that I could add to the panel, apparently it was already installed, just not displayed. It just gives the temp, which is running at about 35 degrees.

I would like a utility that gives more information, so I will probably try out the one you suggested.

I guess I need to post in the "Build Your Own PC" forum that I have successfully booted my new build and installed the OS etc. I probably committed a faux pas of some kind by not doing that sooner. I have been busy trying to get java installed and eclipse working with my old projects and packages.

Thanks again,

medchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-20-2008, 06:02 AM
You don't need to post it... :)

Anywho, glad you got it working - that temperature seems fine.