PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

BobaFettK
02-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Well, I'm probably jinxing myself by posting this, but after much trial and error (most of the error on Asus's part), I finally have an operational super-pc! There are still a few diagnostics to run, and I haven't tested all functionality (e.g. no DVD burn attempts, yet; and the newest game I've tried to play is the original KOTOR), but for all intents and purposes it works! Here are the specs:

case: Antec 900
motherboard: Asus P5KC
processor: Intel E8400
memory: Corsair 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
GPU: evga 8800GT 512 MB
HD: Western Digital Caviar 500 GB SATA 7200rpm
optical: Samsung 20x DVD+/-R w/lightscribe SH-S203N
floppy: Samsung
PSU: Corsair HX520w
cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
keyboard/mouse: Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave

The keyboard/mouse combo was purchased this morning at Staples for $15!
My monitor and speakers are both from my old Compaq. Not very exciting, but functional enough for now. I'll get a widescreen LCD and some decent 2.1 speakers eventually. Thanks to everyone on these boards for all the advice (and moral support). Now I have to go play some games! :cool:

shyster
02-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Congratulations Boba,

Of course I am hella jealous of you now, since my motherboard needs to be RMA'ed and that will probably mean I will not get the replacement until the 25th of this month.

But I am still happy for you and I hope some happiness comes my way soon as well.

As for the keyboard mouse combo, were they on sale, did you have a coupon, were they in the clearance section, basically are they usually that cheap?

BobaFettK
02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
The keyboard/mouse were supposed to be the Microsoft 4000 wireless kb/mouse combo. The were in today's newspaper ad for $15 (down from $80), and all of them were taken 5 minutes after opening. The manager called other stores and looked online, but they were sold out instantly everywhere. He let me substitute the Logitech equivalent, which, based on reviews and MSRP, is a superior product, so I won out in the end! :)

PS--Sorry about your mobo. I know how much it sucks. When your new one arrives, I hope it works like mine. You may have some sound driver issues if you're using XP. I had no sound for a couple days, but finally got it figured out thanks to the helpful folks here on the boards.

chunkylover53
02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Congrats on the new build. Enjoy!

shyster
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah hopefully it does work.

I am going to be using vista so hopefully that will not be a problem there.

I just called newegg to get an RMA and was pleasantly surprised. They guy set it all up for me over the phone, will be sending me a UPS code, so they pay the bill, and they will be sending it back next day shipping after they receive and process my order.

I may just yet get it before this weekend.

iiiprimeiii
02-18-2008, 09:43 PM
wooooo yea!!! way to go man hope it stays running. felt amazing when u booted up and got that nice fresh CLEAN os eh???:D

Jamie Nixx
02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice one :D