PDA

View Full Version : Question

bootsy72
02-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey all,
I am in the process of building my computer, and everything has worked fine so far, except that during my second boot I cannot get the Asus P5N-E SLI to recognize my Intel Dual Core 8400 (45 nm) processor--the Wolfdale one. Can someone please help me? It is very discouraging.

It is supposed to be a 3ghz processor but the only thing the computer recognizes is a default intel core 2 duo at 2 ghz.

Thanks

shyster
02-15-2008, 10:03 PM
If you have followed Robs steps about setting up the bios and it still cannot recognize your processor, it is probably because the bios is too old on the computer.

That means you will probably have to flash your bios to the newest, non-beta version.

Do not just try this on my recommendation though, wait until someone else chips in they might have a different suggestion.

bootsy72
02-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok... so I tried to ignore the fact that my motherboard did not recognize the Wolfdale processor. In the process of installing windows xp my computer has just turned off 3 times; not even 1 minute in. I called ASUS and read online forums to discover that the BIOS is not currently suitable to handle a wolfdale chip. Could this be the reason behind my computer's turning off? Or is it more likely a faulty hard drive (i bought the hard drive OEM from Newegg.com)? I do not have another processor to put in the computer in place of this one to find out. Should I exchange this processor at Newegg for a different one? Thanks

Lerxt
02-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I am no expert but if your MOBO is not recognizing your CPU I would suggest getting that resolved FIRST.

You need to update your bios (again, I'm no expert) especially if the specs say it should handle it. Also looking at the Asus website and it says "Please update the latest BIOS to support Intel 45nm CPU".

So try that first.

Jamie Nixx
02-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Shyster this is the kind of situation i was telling you about.

The Asus P5N-E if you read on the box, the FSB it supports, it says 1333Mhz **when its available**.

The turning off during Win XP installation could be the CPU overheating so i would check that first before anything else.