PDA

View Full Version : Rivatuner troubles

BobaFettK
02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
So I finally got my new build working (Asus P5KC mobo, E8400 processor, evga 8800GT graphics), and last night I downloaded Rivatuner and ran the tests. The video tests went smoothly for the most part. But in the processor tests, one in particular did not go well. I was getting around 70 fps in the flight sim demo, but on the troll demo I was averaging in the low 20s, and it even dropped to 17 fps at one point. Then I ran the flight sim demo. The screen locked up during the opening credits, and the sound kept holding on certain notes and distorting, then moving on to the next note and freezing, with no change in the frozen video image. Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem? I have the newest drivers for the video card. I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL my way out of the program.

RickyTick
02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
On the surface, it sounds like a driver issue.

Which driver do you have, and did it come from Nvidia.com or somewhere else?

Jamie Nixx
02-15-2008, 12:15 PM
CPU tests always give you low FPS scores.

Like Ricky said, could be a driver issue, or it could be a fault directly in the program causing issues.

Did you install the graphics drivers on the CD that came with the 8800, or did you download them directly from Nvidia?

BobaFettK
02-15-2008, 01:55 PM
I downloaded the newest drivers directly from evga's website. Should I see if nVidia has a different driver, or use the one on the cd instead?

Added: Hmm, the nvidia site driver is version 169.21. The driver I downloaded from evga is actually newer, 169.28. I would think the newer driver from the manufacturer of my specific card would be the way to go...

RickyTick
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
The one on EVGA's site is probably not WHQL.

Use the one from Nvidia.

RickyTick
02-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Also follow this thread for installing the drivers.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=175074&mpage=1&key=&#175074

Hope this helps.

BobaFettK
02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
The one on EVGA's site is probably not WHQL.

Use the one from Nvidia.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "WHQL"?

Jamie Nixx
02-15-2008, 03:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHQL_Testing

Google is your friend.

And to be honest EVGA would have the EXACT same drivers Nvidia have apart from maybe they have gotten BETA drivers early for their cards, this may be the problem.

Download the latest driver from Nvidia, NOT a BETA one or use the ones on your CD just to check.

Also, games crashing upon startup could indicate a Overheating Card.

RickyTick
02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure how much it matters, but the driver on EVGA's site is 169.32 (for Win XP), and the one at Nvidia is 169.21.

iiiprimeiii
02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
when i ran 3dmark06 about 3 days ago my cpu test was only giving me 3fps. r u saying ur cpu test was running at 17-20fps???? did u set up rivatuner for the different fan speeds for your card???? if not this is the guide i used. worked great!!! http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner2/ RickyTick hooked me up with the link before.