PDA

View Full Version : Need budget computer build!

rockhead21784
02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
My old NF-7 V2 fried the other week. I decided to start from scratch with a very limited budget set by my wife, since we already have a laptop. I had just bought a:

WD1600AAJS 160GB from Newegg and hadn't installed it yet.
I also have a usable case I suppose from the old system:
Antec Solution SLK3700AMB ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350Watt (SL350) Supports motherboards up to a standard ATX. I will probably need to upgrade the power supply. Onboard video will be fine i suppose.

I need a basic motherboard. No gaming other than my daughters Disney games. I will in the future decide to use the computer to put my old VHS tapes onto DVDs. Not sure if this makes a difference. But I suppose it will. Other than that I just use it for bills and Internet browsing. Any recommendations? Remember....my wife is a penny pincher so nothing extravagant. Thanks

Also how about a good DVD drive that I can use to watch and burn DVDs?

I was very good a few years ago with keeping up with technology, but recently I have been out of the loop.

I forgot to include brands. No preference.
I do like to shop at Newegg.
I also use Windows XP.
I would prefer not to overclock.

I have read that intel processor is better than AMD, but i am not going to spend $200.00 on a processor anyway, so i have no preference.

$400.00 is about my max for the build.

I have posted to 7 other forums with these same questions. I am so confused. I will listed the motherboards that have been recommended to me.

Asus:
M2N-SLI DELUXE
P5E-VM
P5LD2 R2.0

Abit:
IP35
AN-M2

Sapphire PE-AM2RS690MH
BIOSTAR Tforce TF7025
ASRock Wolfdale1333-D667

GIGABYTE
GA-MA69GM-S2H
GA-M61SME-S2
GA-73PVM-S2
GA-73PVM-S2H
GA-P35-S3G
GA-G31M-S2L
GA-P35-DS3L

You see why i am confused. I have started to do research on the different chipsets, sizes, you name it. Any suggestions?

Thanks