PDA

View Full Version : Question about Antec 900

jclaydon
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I was thinking about getting the Antec 900 case because of the built in cooling, and i like the way it looks.. But there is one feature I'd like that I don't think it has.

Does anyone know how how hard it would be to modify the case so that you could lock it with a quality padlock, I'm not exactly what you would call handy when it comes to using a drill etc, but when my dad helps me, as least i can get it to look clean etc.

What would be the best way to do it? Or would it be better to get a different case

thanks

-James

Barrister73
02-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I am not advocating anything that I post in response to my questions, but I can certainly throw out some ideas on how to secure your computer.

Most important question; how secure does it need to be? Are you planning on leaving it unattended for long periods of time and need to make sure that nobody can steal it without a hacksaw and bolt cutters, or do you just need to make it so people cannot simply pick it up and walk off with it?

MRR

jclaydon
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry I forgot I had posted this..

All I really need is something that will deter people from walking off with it while I'm in the washroom or otherwise occupied.

I plan to use my build to dJ and do karaoke when digital liscensing is granted in Canada. For karaoke, this means bars and while most people are generally trustworthy I just don't want to leave a $1500 computer lying around where anyone could take it..

thanks in advance,

-James

The Wise Monkey
02-22-2008, 06:57 AM
I suppose that you could make a hole through the side window and the back panel to put a chain through it. This should be enough. :)

shyster
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
While I think that the 900 is sleak, sexy and nice looking, I do not know that I would advocate its use in bars. It may just be me but all the air holes that make for great cooling, also make it great for some drunk to spill his beer in, or allow chunks of vomit to fly in.

Maybe Canadians do not get drunk or stupid or sick when they drink and this is a moot point to you.

Lerxt
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Kensington makes a computer locking system for Desktops:

http://ca.kensington.com/html/8946.html#

I don't it's that hard to install and it looks like you can integrate it with your monitor too.

Barrister73
02-22-2008, 08:53 PM
If you just want to keep it safe without anyone walking off, I can make a suggestion that doesn't involve drilling the case at all.

For any Computer:

Assuming you have two expansion slots open on the back, make a small loop of braided steel wire go between them. Then you can make another longer steel wire with a loop on both ends. (all these loops needs to be securely fastened; check your local hardware store for press on fasteners).

To secure the computer, loop long wire around something secure, and padlock it to the loop in the back of your computer.

Any thief with wire cutters can walk off with it, but what are the chances of someone with wire cutters waiting for you to walk off?

MRR

If you want it more secure than just the small loop of wire at the back of your case, you can get a small sheet of stainless steel and make a new filler for the empty slots. But if you are not too keen on drilling a hole, I guessing that kind of fabrication is out of the question.

Antec 900 specific; There are two holes in the back with rubber washers. I'm sure they have a purpose, I just don't know what. Anyway, Run a loop of steel cable through there instead of the small loop in the expansion slot. Fasten to longer wire with lock.

Barrister73
02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
On a side note, I'd replace the thumbscrews on the back with bolts. This way nobody can easily get inside your computer while you are away.

MRR

jclaydon
02-24-2008, 01:26 AM
While I think that the 900 is sleak, sexy and nice looking, I do not know that I would advocate its use in bars. It may just be me but all the air holes that make for great cooling, also make it great for some drunk to spill his beer in, or allow chunks of vomit to fly in.

Maybe Canadians do not get drunk or stupid or sick when they drink and this is a moot point to you.

Geez i'd never even considered that.. Thanks for bringing it up.. I think I will get a different case.. :cool:

Barrister73
02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
All cases have holes for fans, so all cases run the risk of fluids getting into them. If you are concerned about the top fan, you can always take it out and replace it with a piece of plastic. The rest of the case seems good enough that you will not lose a lot of cooling.

But, you could probably get away with a cheaper case if you are more concerned with safety than extreme cooling.

MRR

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2008, 11:58 AM
If you are going to be carrying it around a lot, I'd recommend looking at a smaller form factor case - much easier to cart about.

jclaydon
02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm not to worries about size, i got myself a lan bag/carrier like this.

http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-lan-party-bag-black.html

My speakers/sound system are a heck of a lot heavier than anything I could put in a computer.. :)

iiiprimeiii
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
thats a serious bag right there!!:eek: