PDA

View Full Version : Sata HDs +Sata Optical Drive

CrashnBurn
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm planning on installing 2 WD sata HDs and one Plextor sata DVD burner. I hope to have the HDs on a Raid 0 setup.
I have an ASUS Crosshair Mb with the on board NVIDIA nForce® 590 SLI chipset and NVIDIA MediaShield RAID,plus a Silicon Image® 3132 SATA/RAID controller for the 2 external SATA ports. I noticed some info (on the WD site I think) that indicated that with some onboard RAID controllers the sata optical drive may not be recognized if you have a raid setup enabled. Ever hear of such a catch 22? I can always go back to a pata DVD burner I guess but I prefer sata.

Also, while I'm posting - for Rob - I noticed some pretty devistatingly bad reviews of the Semantic-Norton Go Back ver. 4.0 on New Egg. Seems to cause a lot of problems insteading of being a lifesaver. Have you heard about any problems with Go Back and are you still recommending Go Back? :confused:

DemonicDerek
03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
They make Sata DVD Burners!?! or is it just one of those connection slots that is already on all DVD burners and is to the left of the IDE connector.

Wow you DO learn something everyday. Excluding what I learned in school.

However, does that catch 22 (by the way what does that mean) apply to MSI K9N Motherboards cause if it doesn't WOOT! if it does then lets wait for Rob's response to say WOOT...oops.

Rob
03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm not familiar with SATA optical drives or what issues they might have. I haven't used one myself.

Wow, that's some pretty negative stuff about GoBack on Newegg, although there were a few good reviews, too. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

I installed GoBack on the MSI K9N Platinum computer that I shipped to the moderator. No serious issues. The only thing is that it makes the computer take longer to shutdown. I've noticed that on other computers I've built, namely the MSI K8N Neo Platinum I have on my site today and an EPoX 8RDA+ I use as a baseline for my assembly instructions. A small price to pay for the benefits it provides.

However, it is fair to say that GoBack will cause disk intensive applications to run slower. For what I do with a computer, there is usually no visible slowdown. But for video editing or other large disk operations, it may be noticeable.

GoBack is not a set-it-and-forget-it application. There are times when it should be turned off. GoBack should definitely (and obviously) not be enabled during a hard drive defragmentation, as one Newegg reviewer found out.

You might consider it an application that is only sometimes turned on. Meaning you may want to leave it disabled under normal day-to-day operation, but enable it when you're doing something like upgrading drivers.

I think GoBack is worth having even if it's for just the assembly and early stages of using the computer. If a mistake is made then it might save you from having to go all the way back to reformatting the hard drive.

CrashnBurn
03-22-2007, 02:06 AM
FYI - Catch 22 is A situation in which a desired outcome or solution is impossible to attain because of a set of inherently illogical rules or conditions or, A situation or predicament characterized by absurdity or senselessness.

In computing, a Catch-22 with software would be trying to install a new version of the OS that conflicts with the current display driver. Although a new version of the display driver may be available for the new version of the OS, the current display driver does not allow the new OS to be installed. Sometimes, a Catch-22 is used synonymously with a "chicken-egg" dilemma (which comes first?), but it is more accurately a conundrum without a winning solution.

Its origin was in a black-humour novel by Joseph Heller, published in 1961, about a US squadron that is ordered to fly an increased number of bombing missions in Italy in World War II; the crazed military justifications involved were described by the novel's phrase ‘Catch-22’, which has come to represent the dilemma of every available choice being wrong.:cool:

CrashnBurn
03-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Ya, they make them - I have one. Its a Plextor PX -755SA from Tiger Direct. A little pricey at $120, but its definitely SATA. Check it out at this link:

ht (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1624&Nav=|c:89|m:692|&Sort=3&Recs=10)

Thanks Rob - sounds like you should turn Go-Back on to get a good restore poiint then turn it off until you need it or need to update your restore point - will it work that way? - Or do you have to always have it "on" whenever you're doing something that may require "going back"?

Rob
03-22-2007, 06:05 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

DemonicDerek
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
note to self:
Don't get norton go back, use the 200 blank Dvds i have at home for back ups...