PDA

View Full Version : So close and yet so far..

jclaydon
02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Well this post is more of a vent/rant than anything so if you want to skip the rest now, be my guest. :)

So far, I've ordered the memory, OS, motherboard *more on that later*. I have an old hard drive I can use temporarily, dvd optical drive, power supply and case to put everything in temporarily.

All I need now *i think* are the processor and the video card.. Of course, they would have to be the most expensive components so its going to take me at least another two-four months to save up the money. Waiting is tuff.. heheh

Of course if I had just listened to Jamie, I probably could have saved myself a few hassles. After debating for a long while, i decided I didn't want the p5k-c because A)it didn't support onboard/internal raid and B) the computer store i wanted to order the parts from didn't stock it.

So after tons of research i decided on the pk3.. Except when i read thru the specs more carefully, it doesn't support DDR 2 memory, which is what i ordered. So after that i decided on the P5b.

So i went and put the order in.. Just got an email back.. The p5b has been discontinued by Asus. *lol*

So now they suggested i get the Asus commando.. i looked thru the specs.. Seems decent enough to me, and was only an extra $10. Hopefully nothing else will go wrong.. :D

On the plus side, the new board has a completely separate pci sound card so I probably can replace the sound componet last in my build. *which is a good thing because if I want a card with multi 1/4" inputs, it will cost $480* :eek:

Well i just needed to vent.. thanks for 'listening'

take care,

-James

Jamie Nixx
02-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Did you look at the chipset when you bought the commando?

It has a P965 chipset, the new Asus boards have a P35 chipset..........

jclaydon
02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Did you look at the chipset when you bought the commando?

It has a P965 chipset, the new Asus boards have a P35 chipset..........

DOH! See this is why I should have listened to you in the first place.. all this hassle over one feature i wanted. Maybe I'll return the board when i get it.. Do you know how much raid controller cards are? i haven't been able to find any sites that carry one yet.. maybe I'll double check on newegg..

Altho it does say it will support a core 2 duo processor. I wonder if that would apply to the umm.. wolfdale *is that's what it's called* that recently came out?

thanks again for all the advice you give

-James

Jamie Nixx
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah it supports the new cores, but you may have to flash the BIOS, the P35 doesn't require a flash for the 45nm CPU's.

However i do not recommend flashing the BIOS, you would need another CPU that works and its also dangerous, so if it doesn't, just get the Gigabyte P35C or the P5KC.

jclaydon
02-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow. I didn't know that chips had a bios... go figure.. But even if you hadn't advised against it, that is just not something i would be comfortable doing.

I'm going to return the board and just get the p5k-c and a raid controller..

thanks again for the help.

-James