PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 or NTSF?

BobaFettK
02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, my 2nd (RMA) mobo is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Provided I get lucky and my build works this time, I may be installing WinXP this time tomorrow. When I format the new HD, which format should I use: FAT 32 or NTSF?

It will be running XP home, used for games, video editing, and internet.

chunkylover53
02-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I do a lot of video work, so I have large files to store. FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation, so I went with NTFS.

shyster
02-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I just read an article about fat32 and NTFS, but I still know very little about it.

So just to get this straight, under Fat32 you cannot create a file bigger than 4gb or fat32 cannot even recognize files over 4gb?

And not that it helps you boba without some reason behind it, but if you do a quick google search on fat32 and NTFS the few articles I saw all recommend NTFS for any newer system. The only apparent bonus fat32 might have is that it could be slightly faster, but none of the few articles I read had definitive evidence of that fact.

Jamie Nixx
02-11-2008, 05:03 AM
FAT32 is pretty old now, really all systems should be formatted with NTFS.

The benefits are in this awesome thread i found http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-74073.php

Lerxt
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
NTFS is the way to go, you get the most out of your HDD plus gain security benefits (such as permissions). It's been around for a long time and will continue to be around for a while.

Just remember, you can't go back from NTFS to Fat32 - not that there would be any reason to do so.

Doktor_Beak
04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Doesn't Microsoft explicitly state that if you plan to have a dual-boot system with Win98SE and WinXP (like what I'm trying to do) that you must use the FAT32 file system?

The Wise Monkey
04-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Only because Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS.

Why are you trying to dual boot XP and 98? :/

Lerxt
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I think that as long as the WIN98 partition is FAT32 and that the boot partition has XP installed then you can have that partition as NTFS.

What I mean is that your NTFS partition can boot up both XP and 98, but the 98 O/S needs to be installed on FAT32.

I would also ask why 98, but I figure that some apps are just not compatible with XP. Have you thought about virtualization? Using Virtual PC would allow you to install Win98 without having to dual boot.

Doktor_Beak
04-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Actually, virtualization isn't something I had given any serious thought to, but I might consider it, given the hassle I'm finding myself in with my current plans. The reason I'm interested in being able to use Win 98 is, indeed, for the purpose of running older applications that simply will not function in the XP environment. Maybe someone could steer me in the right direction on how I can virtualize? Also, does it actually act as though you are operating out of the Windows 98 environment or just emulate its functions for some programs?

The Wise Monkey
04-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Will the programs not install on XP, or will they not run? Remember that you can run programs in Compatibility mode - just right click the executable, go to Properties, and click on the Compatibility tab. You should be able to set the execution parameters to that of Windows 98.

Virtualization does make it seem as if you are using the Windows 98 environment, but it also provides easy interfaces with outside peripherals e.g. network connection. I have done a lot of virtualization in the past, especially with servers, and it definitely works. I even had Windows 3.1 running in a virtual environment. :)

If you do decide to go down this route, then you may like to check out VMWare - it is a very good product.

Lerxt
04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
MS Virtual PC is free and may help you get off to a quick start too.

Both programs emulate a PC with its own HD, Memory, etc. You lose some performance vs. runninging a native o/s but you don't have to setup any dual boots, etc.

Virualization allows you to run a separate computer off your desktop. You allocate Hard Disk space & memory and it operates within those confines.

It's pretty powerful stuff and you shouldn't have any problems with Win 98 as it requires much less resources than XP (in fact, you may have to limit the size of your virtual HD if using FAT filesystem, and your memory - not sure what 98's memory limit is).

The Wise Monkey
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I think that 98 cannot support more than 1GB of memory, but I'm not 100% on that. I know that Windows 3.1 can only support 32MB... :D

mandy
08-22-2009, 06:14 AM
I have my main operating system on NFTS disk [XP home] but I also have an old FATS disk. I tried to reformat when re-installing XO,so I could use it but the system does not seem to allow that , so there is still some old rubbsh on the disk that I do not need . I am have trouble with my display [which I am posting elsewhere] and wondered if the rubbish on the FATS disc could be causing any problems. It was used with Windows NT.

Deneb
10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
If one is installing a single version of Windows it is best to go with the NTFS file system. It defragments better and has better security. If your multi-booting several operating systems on several partitions you may want to go with a small FAT 16 partition at the front of the drive. Fat 32 can be used when trying to share data with a Linux operating system like ubuntu. Otherwise FAT 32 is not much use these days on an Intel box. Fat 32 can be used on a Macintosh when using boot Camp because the MacOS X 10 operating system cannot natively access NTFS.

NTFS vs. FAT: Which Is Right for You?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx

NTFS vs. FAT32
http://cquirke.mvps.org/ntfs.htm

Note that whenever a new version of Windows is installed any existing NTFS partitions will be automatically upgraded to the newest version of NTFS without your knowledge or consent. This means that any third-party disk partitioning or disk management utilities may not work after installing a new version of Windows such as Windows 7. A workaround, albeit very time-consuming, is to change all NTFS partitions to fat 32. Then install the new version of Windows. Then use a third party partition manager program like Partition Magic to change the partitions back to NTFS.

PartitionMagic is now out of date and is not being supported anymore. It is not compatible directly will Windows 7.

PartitionMagic
“PartitionMagic was a computer program for hard disk drive partitioning originally made by the PowerQuest corporation but now owned by Symantec. As of December 8, 2009, the Symantec website stated that they no longer offer Partition Magic. The program ran on Microsoft Windows operating systems (only 2000 and XP, not Vista or 7) or from a bootable CD-ROM and enabled creation and modification of partitions. Existing partitions could be resized without loss of data.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_magic