PDA

View Full Version : I'm Doing It!

bootsy72
02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,
Everyone in the forum and especially Rob, I just want to say thank you for all of this free information. I have purchased all of the necessary parts and I should be able to begin building my very own PC this weekend.

I hope that all goes without a hitch. I'll let you know how it goes.

I do have a question though; I use DSL and did not see anywhere on your web page where you recommended purchasing a network card. Does it come with the motherboard? Or do I need to purchase the network card for my DSL to plug into? If I need to purchase it, what do you recommend? Thanks

The Wise Monkey
02-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Do you have a router at home that you plug the DSL cable into?

bootsy72
02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I plug the ethernet cable directly into the back of my computer. I don't have a router.

chunkylover53
02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Take a look at the motherboard specifications on the site where you purchased. It should say "Onboard LAN" or something like that. If it says "none" next to it, you need a card. If it says "10/100/1000Mbps" or something to that effect, you have an ethernet jack that you'll plug right into as you do today. Or you can post your MB brand/model and someone here can double check for you.:)

If you need a card don't worry, they're very inexpensive.

bootsy72
02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I purchased the MB that Rob recommended...

ASUS P5N-E SLI

Thanks

chunkylover53
02-10-2008, 09:33 PM
No card required with that - it has onboard LAN. Once you load the drivers that come with the MOBO, you should be able to plug it in and go.