PDA

View Full Version : KVM Switch for WinXP/Linux

medchemistMA
02-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I am looking for a KVM Switch to share my human interface stuff between my WinXP and Linux (dual boot 64 bit Ubuntu & CentOS) boxes (in case you hadn't figured that out from the title).

I have heard and read that there are some issues with KVM when trying to make it play nicely with both Windows and Linux. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if this thread should have gone to one of the other forums (networking etc.)

Thanks and best regards,

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I've used a KVM between Server 2003 and a modified Linux distro before, with no ill effects, so I can't really say. :)

medchemistMA
02-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Which KVM Switch did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I can't remember exactly, but it was quite expensive. Sorry I can't be of more help...

medchemistMA
02-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the information anyway, I believe that I will look for a physical hardware switch instead of a software switch. It may not be as convenient, but I believe that it will be far less trouble.

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Actually, thats what I thought you meant... :D

medchemistMA
02-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Most KVM switches at this point are a physical switch with software that allows you to switch ports using keyboard hot-keys. This is what I meant by software switch, not VNC or anything that would work over a network. I believe that the hot-key software is part of the problem, as it probably needs to be installed on all the boxes serviced by the switch and may not be supported by all platforms etc.

I went ahead and ordered the TRENDnet-TK-400K ($39.99)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=580953&body=REVIEWS
which has push button port switching as well as software. There were some reviews for this product that reported success with WinXP/Linux switching, although one of the was in French, so I am not sure. If I remember correctly from Jr. High School, "Fonctionne très bien autaut sous un config windows que sous mes serveur linux," is a positive endorsement.

I guess it cost me $40 to find out.

Best regards,

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
It means "Works very well on a Windows config and on my linux server". :)

I've always used push button KVMs, so I assumed that was what you mean, which is why I was a little confused when you were talking about software problems. :)

Anywho, let us know if it works or not.