PDA

View Full Version : tests

iiiprimeiii
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
well i think i am done now. i ran all tests i could that rob recomended and i think they all tested good wasnt too sure about the ram tests but they looked like high scores. did the dxdiag and no problems and ran 3dmark06 but didnt do ram torture test or prime test. do i need to do these?? also i scored a 12,236 on 3dmark what does that mean is it good????

shyster
02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
I cannot tell you how good your scores are, but most of the benchmarking programs tell you how you rate versus "similar" computer setups, so that should give you an idea.

As I understand it Prime95 is a test to check the durability of your setup. Or for if you overclocked it will tell you if your system is stable. I think most people just run it overnight when the finish a new computer and if the computer is still running in the morning it means it is stable. That is what I understand about it anyways.

I do not know if you have, but you might want to run a hard drive check, I do not remember what HDD you got, but I know WD offers a test to see if it is a good drive or not. Again I have not used it yet so I do not know how accurate the test is, but in the past I had a WD that died on me. I decided to try WD again with this new computer I am building, mostly because it was the cheapest for the the most space, well for the most part anyways. That being said though, the HDD check is one of the first things I am going to run once I get my computer setup, losing data is a painful thing.

And of course congratulations again on getting your new computer up. I hope to get mine up this weekend, if all my parts arrive tomorrow.

chunkylover53
02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Agreed on the hard drive test. I did memtest86, a hard drive test (I believe I did the Western Digital test), and Prime95 overnight.

That 3Dmark score means that you have a bigtime video card, but I'm not sure how much else it will tell you. ;)

iiiprimeiii
02-08-2008, 07:10 PM
i forgot to say i tried the hard drive test rob says and it wouldnt work with my computer for some reason. and as far as 3dmark goes it didnt rate me against similar systems it just said it was higher than 3 million something and lower than 300,000. i guess i might have to run the primetest just to make sure everything is good.

Jamie Nixx
02-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I have always rated Orthos over Prime95, much more intensive imo.