PDA

View Full Version : Minor issues - suggestions?

daryls61
03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I used your info to build myself a sweet machine that works very well. There are just some minor issues that bug me simply because I can't figure out what is causing them.

1. No beep from motherboard. I have a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and I have heard that some motherboards don't have a speaker. No big deal but no beep.

2. Computer takes a long time to get to drive detection screen. I power on, drives fire up, fans start, lights come on, monitor light turns to green, on but it takes about 1 minute to detect drives and begin to load windows. Research has suggested that hard drives need to reach a certain speed before windows can boot. This can be caused by a low power supply. I have a 450w power supply which seems like pleanty but it just takes a long time to boot.

3. Every so often windows will detect a new PCI device and start the found new hardware wizard. I obviously have not installed any new hardware. I let the wizard run but it can not find the proper driver for this unknown PCI device and fails to install the new hardware. I check the never try to install this hardware agian but every so often it pops up again.

4. This one drives me nuts. I shut down the computer and it will simply boot up again randomly in about 15 to 20 minutes. The only way I have found to stop this is to flip the power switch on the power supply. All the wake on's are disabled in the BIOS.

None of these issues are major but just bug me because I can't figure out how to fix them.

Any suggestions?

Rob
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
1) A lot of people are reporting this experience, including me using the MSI K9N Platinum motherboard. This one's got me bugged, too. By the way, it's the computer case that has the internal speaker, not the motherboard.

2) I would suspect this is a missing driver issue. Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?

3) This might be looking for the AMD Away driver. I mention it here in this thread:
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=19&page=2&highlight=driver

4) This is very strange. Possibly a short in the power supply? Is your power supply new and of high quality? This problem was also reported here:
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=81

daryls61
03-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info.

1. I did not know the internal speaker was in the case. Could the issue be that there is no internal speaker? I can't seem to locate it. I do have external speakers that work fine. I always thought the internal speaker was on the motherboard somewhere.

Quick update on problem 2. The monitor light does not turn green as I had stated. It stays orange for about 45 seconds to 1 minute after I power on. I am assuming the motherboard has not got to the point where it detects the video card. Still not sure what the problem is. Also, when I restart the computer it boots right up with no waiting. It is only when you completely power down that the issue occurs. I believe I have installed all the motherboard chipset drivers. Is there any way to check this?

3. I installed this driver. Thanks for the info.

4. I thought problem 2 and 4 could be realted to an issue with the power supply but could never confirm that. I really don't have any other issues so I think I am just going to keep turning off the master power switch. It is really no big deal. Just always wondered what was actualy causing it.

I have to say your directions are very well thought out and easy to follow. I always wanted to build my own computer and with your help I did. Keep up the good work.